Election 2013: Informing your vote

0
377

Provincial Election

A breakdown of current political issues, candidates, and party policies, just in time for May 14

By Leah Bjornson
Photos by Stephen Rees, Stephen Hui, Kris Krug

Democratic participation in BC has steadily declined over the last few decades, dropping to the point where only 55 per cent of the 2.9 million registered voters cast a ballot in 2009. Of that statistic, the lowest registration rates are for young voters.

In a poll conducted by Elections BC in 2010, it was found that on average, only one-third, 34 per cent, of the 20-24 year old group cast a ballot in the three Provincial elections that have taken place since 2001. However, in the 18 to 19 year old age range, three out of every five registered voters cast a ballot. The fact that this cohort had a higher percentage of votes cast than the BC average provides a glimmer of hope for increased democratic participation by BC’s younger generation.

But does a vote really matter if it is not informed? To help you make it to the ballot box, and to make a thoughtful, informed decision, The Peak has put together a comprehensive guide to leadership candidates and the political issues in BC today.

Leadership Candidates

Adrian Dix 

Some might have been surprised when Adrian Dix was elected the leader of the BC New Democrats in April 2011, considering his involvement in a scandal which ended the leadership of once-premier Glen Clark. The controversy involved charges that Clark had approved his neighbour’s casino application in return for renovations to his home. Dix, who was then chief of staff to Premier Clark, was fired by the premier after it was revealed that he’d falsely backdated a memo in an effort to protect Clark.

Dix has since expressed regret for his actions, telling press at a conference in 2011, “I take responsibility for my mistakes. I always have . . . I own them.”

Although Dix was not involved in politics immediately following the incident, he re-entered the political arena and was elected as an MLA in 2005. Since then, Dix’s policies have displayed a commitment to quality public education as well as readiness to challenge current policies. Over the past few years, Dix has lead a coalition that saved certain East Vancouver schools from being closed and was also the executive director for Canadian Parents for French, BC-Yukon Branch, a non-profit organization that promoted language education. More recently, Dix led the NDP’s successful fight against the HST.

Adrian Dix’s proposed plans for the future include a plan for health reform that would add $254 million in spending over three years. Dix has also floated the idea of selling BC Place, suggesting that the NDP government would prefer to spend the stadium’s predicted operational losses of almost $60 million over the next three years on hospitals or social programs.

Christy Clark 

The BC Liberals have exalted our current Premier as a politician dedicated to “putting families first, defending and creating jobs, and creating a more open government” in BC. However, Christy Clark’s successes over the past two years have been undercut with recent falling poll numbers, suggesting this Premier’s time may be up.

Clark became the Premier of BC in 2011 after she won the BC Liberal Party’s leadership election on February 26, 2011. First elected to the legislature as an MLA in 1996 and working as the Minister of Education and Deputy Premier from 2001 to 2005, Clark has since demonstrated a commitment to a consistent, focused platform centred around jobs, families, and open government.

Such policies include the BC Jobs Plan (“Canada Starts Here”) which is comprised of a package of policies meant to encourage the creation and protection of BC jobs by taking a leadership position federally and promoting fiscal prudence. In recent years, the provincial government under Clark has increased the minimum wage and cancelled the training wage, created the Family Day holiday, and released reviews of government companies like BC Hydro and Community Living BC. In response to criticisms of overspending, Clark counters that she hopes to have a debt-free BC in 15 years.

Clark’s Premiership has been plagued by political controversial decisions like the adoption of the HST as well as personal critiques, the most recent of which concerned allegations of her running a red light while driving her 11-year-old son Hamish to hockey practice. Further criticism has surfaced as to whether or not voters can judge the Liberals based on Clark’s two years as leader, or whether the problems of the past 12 years should be given more thought. Whatever the cause, the Liberal’s poll numbers are trailing the NDP’s by 14 points, up from trailing by 17 points since the last Angus Reid poll in April.

Jane Sterk

The Green Party leader began her career, not in politics, but as a teacher with the Edmonton Public Schools, teaching at the University of Alberta, Grant MacEwen College, and University Canada West in Victoria. Jane Sterk first became involved in politics when she ran as a federal candidate in 2004 and as a provincial candidate in 2005, becoming a councillor in the Township of Esquimalt from 2005 to 2008.

Since 2007, Sterk has led the Green Party of BC with a focus on strengthening internal party structure, implementing disciplined financial controls and retiring the party’s long-term debt while working actively for sustainability initiatives.

As an Esquimalt councillor, Sterk pursued several environmental policy shifts, including the adoption of an urban agriculture resolution, a community garden by-law, a pesticide by-law, and the creation of a pedestrian charter. Although the BC Green Party is similarly focussed on environmental issues, Sterk has worked this election to show that the Greens are more than a one-issue party. Through decentralization, sustainable economic policies, and accountable democracy that responds to the wishes of British Columbians, the Greens are attempting to shift from an environmental alternative to become a legitimate option for BC voters.

John Cummins

For 18 years, Conservative Party Leader John Cummins has represented British Columbians throughout the evolution of Canada’s conservative movement first as a Reformer, Canadian Alliance, and finally as a Conservative MP. During the Leadership debate on Monday, April 29th, Cummins presented himself as a third and better option than NDP and Liberals. On the BC Conservatives’ website, Cummins is advertised as the better choice between “transparency and deception”, “listening and arrogance”, “government of the people and a government of special interests”, and between “common sense and political correctness”.

If elected, Cummins has pledged to pursue certain policies which promote fiscal austerity while bringing jobs back to British Columbians. The Conservatives plan to achieve this goal by eliminating the Carbon Tax and the province’s debt, ensuring a re-balance between urban and rural British Columbia in order to make northern and remote regions of the province attractive to newcomers, developing the province’s natural resource wealth, and giving young British Columbians the first opportunity to fill jobs that are now being taken by temporary foreign workers. In addition to these goals for job creation and economic stability, the Conservatives have been sure to address the need for a strong social safety net “for those who truly need assistance.”

Election Issues

The Economy and Job Creation

The economy and job creation have been a focus for all parties this election, who all propose different solutions to put the province on track to becoming a Canadian economic leader.

The Liberals have actively promoted job creation over the last couple of years through the BC Jobs Plan, “Canada Works Here.” This plan has been the focus of Clark’s administration, and attempts to put BC in first or second place in Canada for job creation and economic development by 2015. Highlighting the importance of the BC Jobs Plan when it was first implemented in 2011, Premier Clark said, “Our goal is to be the economic engine of Canada because by creating jobs you create strong families and government has the money to pay for the healthcare and education we all want.”

The NDP sees the problem as one of skill shortage. Their solution is in post-secondary education and skills training. The party plans to improve access to job training by providing $100 million in needs-based, non-repayable student grants. When asked how his party might fund such a large project, Dix replied, “It will be funded by reinstating the minimum tax on large banks.”

The Conservatives have proposed three keys for success in this area: first, through high-wage job creation; second, by investing in the province’s natural resource development; and third, through investment in skills training and apprenticeships.

The Green Party proposed a complete shift from the current Liberal government’s economic platform, pointing to the deficits created by the current economic model as the reason. According to Richard Hosein, media contact for the Green Party of BC, “Our current economic model leaves us with fiscal, social and ecological deficits.” The Greens believe, BC must transition from an economy that depends on growth and consumption to one that promotes sustainability.

The Enbridge Northern Gateway

Much debate has centered on the Enbridge Northern Gateway project, a plan which involves constructing a crude oil and liquids pipeline from Alberta to British Columbia. The project would create 217 jobs, but has raised concerns as to its environmental, economic, social and cultural risks.

The Liberals have been criticised for their non-committal reaction to the pipeline project. Clark recently defined the government’s position as “committed to economic development that is balanced with environmental protection” and in favour of environmental review of the Enbridge development. However, the Liberals do support pipelines in BC if they meet necessary criteria and prove to be beneficial to the community as a whole. Clark said last year when the government outlined its heavy oil pipeline requirements, “We need to combine environmental safety with our fair share of fiscal and economic benefits.”

Both the NDP and the Green Party have declared their fervent opposition to the pipeline, although Adrian Dix has been criticised for changing his opinion on the pipeline in the past months. Rob Fleming, NDP environment critic, recently was quoted as saying, “New Democrats have taken a principled stand against the Enbridge pipeline. We will ensure B.C. voices are heard and B.C. interests are protected with a “made in B.C.”environmental assessment.” The Green Party echoes the NDP’s environmental concerns, and adds that, if created, the pipeline would actually ruin more jobs across Canada in the fisheries and tourism than it would create.

The Conservatives have pledged their full support for the project, “provided that it passes all necessary environmental reviews” according to Kristy Fredericks, Director of Policy, Research and Communications for the BC Conservatives as quoted in Darpan Magazine. Cummins expressed his belief that the economic benefits of the project outweigh the environmental concerns, and that the project should be implemented as soon as possible.

The Justice System

Engaged citizens have also expressed their concerns over BC’s justice system. The courts experience large delays, exemplified by the fact that over 2,500 cases have been open for at least 14 months without being decided upon. To alleviate these backlogs, the different parties are proposing solutions to fix our flawed justice system.

The Liberals are proposing a 10-point plan to fix the current problem. The plan includes the creation of a Justice and Public Safety Council, a new scheduling system, and increased use of technology to increase the courts’ efficiency. However, support for the Liberals in the justice sector has fallen sharply, especially since the 2011 Stanley Cup Riots.

The Conservatives have pledged to increase funding to the courts, as they claim that the system has suffered a lack of resources over the last decade. The party hopes that increased numbers of judges, sheriffs, and other officials will increase the expediency of the courts and result in “timely justice.”

Rather than focusing on improving the justice process, the Green Party believes that the justice system would be best improved by making communities safer through the establishment of a provincial police force, a restorative justice program, and an independent police complaints system.

The NDP’s platform on the justice system promises to strengthen access to justice and improve community safety by putting millions in legal aid and crime prevention and restorative justice programs.

Conclusion

No matter whether you are a student or a seasoned voter, this upcoming Provincial Election has provided British Columbians with much to think about when casting their ballots. Will the Liberals be elected on their platform of support for families, job creation, and fiscal prudence, continuing their history of twelve straight years in office? Or is it time for the NDP, who even after Christy Clark’s impressive composure in the April 29th Leadership Debate have overtaken the Liberals in the polls because of their focus on social spending, skills training, and support for the environment? It could even be that British Columbians have grown tired of these two dominant parties, and might resort to the sustainability-driven Greens or the fiscally responsible Conservatives.

As it stands now, Angus Reid polls point to an NDP victory of 41%, with the Liberals polling 34% of the vote and the Greens and Conservatives coming in with 12% and 10%, respectively. Such an election would result in a huge NDP majority government, according to UBC Prediction Markets. While there is still time for the Liberals, Greens, and Conservatives to gain ground, there are only two weeks left before the election on May 14th.

For SFU students looking to vote, information regarding registration and voting locations can be found on www.elections.bc.ca.