Peak Week – March 18, 2013

0
395

By Daryn Wright

Eats
If you haven’t grabbed a sandwich from Las Tortas at 3353 Cambie St. yet, I recommend you pay them a visit this week. Their gourmet Mexican sandwiches are hand-crafted, infused with traditional Mexican flavours, and incredibly delicious. Try the Pollo Pibil (Mayan Style), which features chicken slow roasted in a citrus orange achiote marinade, topped with tomato, cabbage, pickled onion, jalapeno, refried beans, and mayo. If your mouth is watering now, just wait: they also offer hot churros, which I highly recommend you grab for dessert.

Beats
If you happen to be lucky enough to have a break from midterms and papers and you’re looking for something to do this Wednesday night, consider checking out Iceage playing at the Biltmore. The indie punk-rock band from Denmark will be playing tunes from their new album, You’re Nothing, with guests Spectres. There’s also usually a barrel of cheap beers offered, perfect for feeling better about being in the thick of the semester. Tickets are $13 at Red Cat, Zulu Records, and ticketweb.ca.

Theats
The Cinematheque is presenting Drifting States: The Films of Denis Cote March 25, 27 – 28, and April 3. The New Brunswickborn, Quebec-based director took a minimalist and genredefying approach to filmmaking, focusing on characters who were outsiders and themes of loneliness and oppression. The run will be anchored by Bestiaire, which will run four nights. Enemy Lines, Carcasses, and All That She Wants, and more will also be shown over the four evenings.

Elites
The new exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery has begun: Ar t Spiegelman CO-MIX: A Retrospective of Comics, Graphics and Scraps will run until June 9. The exhibit will trace Spiegelman’s artistic output from his early underground comics from the
1970s, his best-known work in Maus, and his more recent illustrations. His work in the field of comics and illustration has helped to develop new ideas of technique, and combines cultural commentar y with subversive art.

Treats
Nouvelle Nouvelle, situated in Gastown, has just released a bundle of their spring collection for men and women. They’re a great stop for classic and unique pieces by local and small designers, as well as hand-crafted gold jewelry and little nick nacks, like Swedish Dream soap. If you’re looking to update your wardrobe to suit the coming warmer months, expect to find light and airy polka-dot blouses, tropical print bustiers, tye-dyed men’s tanks, and leather fringe purses. Even if you can’t wear them yet, it’s still fun to imagine it’s sunny and 25 degrees, right?