Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Wrexham AFC

The Ryan Reynolds-owned team put on a show against Vancouver’s MLS affiliate

0
16
A large stadium decked out in red, white, and blue. A jumbotron hanging from the ceiling screens “GOAL” in white against a red background. Players gather on a grassy field.
PHOTO: Izzy Cheung / The Peak

By: Izzy Cheung, Sports Editor

Vancouver may be home to the Whitecaps of Major League Soccer (MLS), but on July 27, Wrexham AFC ran our beloved West Coast city. Conflicting colours of Whitecaps’ white and blue, as well as Wrexham’s red and white, washed over BC Place as Vancouver’s stars took part in the friendly matchup against the Welsh football club. It was the final stop in the men’s team’s version of the Wrex Coast Tour, which saw them visit other coastal cities such as Santa Clara and Santa Barbara, as well as their first-ever stop in Canada. Follow along as we recap this entertaining game highlighted by a few Vancouver-based surprises.   

Installing real grass

To accommodate for Wrexham AFC’s visit, BC Place replaced their artificial turf field with real grass. Typically, the Whitecaps play on the turf field that they share with the Canadian Football League’s (CFL) BC Lions. This was the first time since the mid-2000s that BC Place has used real grass for their matches and is expected to be the last until they host the FIFA World Cup in 2026.

Doors open, pregame begins   

Fans were ushered into the building at their convenience, and as I wandered around the concourse, I was surprised by the amount of Wrexham fans that energetically cheered for their team. Despite the hot and sunny day, they donned scarves and hats stitched with the framed red dragons most recognized from the team’s logo. Mid-warmup, fans were treated to their first sighting of Vancouver-based actor and Wrexham part-owner, Ryan Reynolds.

Start of the match

Rallying cries from both fanbases echoed throughout the stadium as the match began. Actor and part-owner of the team, Rob McElhenney, made an appearance on the jumbotron, as did former Whitecap and Canadian soccer star Alphonso Davies. Davies began playing with the Whitecaps in 2016, as a 15-year-old, before being transferred to Bayern Munich of Bundesliga in 2019. Most recently, he captained Canada’s squad to fourth place in the 2024 Copa América.

Goals, goals, and more goals

Wrexham AFC notched the first goal 30 minutes into the match, sending an array of red and white across all screens inside the stadium. Left-back Sebastian Revan gave the Welsh soccer club the lead, which was quickly neutralized by a Whitecaps goal by defender Giuseppe Bovalina. The game remained tied until a header from winger James McClean gave Wrexham the lead once more. After another two goals, the match concluded with a 41 win for the Welsh team.

Unity in sport

By nature, sports are competitive. It’s evident in the way players push themselves and their teammates to victory, and it’s evident in how fans raise their colours. At the end of the day, fans gather together regardless of their athletic allegiances to celebrate the sport itself. With a final registered attendance of 34,738 fans from all kinds of places flocked to BC Place to support two teams that are over 7,000 km away from each other. It’s a testament to how far the influence of sports can take fanship as well as the loyalty that comes with being a fan.