Need to Know, Need to Go: Vancouver-based arts events

Check out the latest artsy happenings in July

0
405
Colourful paintings on easels displayed along a busy street in downtown Vancouver.
PHOTO: Art Downtown

By: Hailey Miller, Staff Writer

Vancouver Art Book Fair

When: July 26: 11:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m. and July 27: 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Where: Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre, 181 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver 
Admission: Free!

The Vancouver Art Book Fair will showcase a variety of authors locally, across Canada, and around the world. Local authors and artists featured include Cathy Busby, Dawn Lo, Feiya Zhang, and Daniel Robert Hawkins. This event will be held in the heart of Yaletown for the start of the weekend, and will be followed by a symposium on July 28 at Emily Carr University of Art & Design from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The weekend will present programs, performances, and projects from over 100 authors, publications, and galleries — including works from books, magazines, zines, and more!

CREATE! Eastside Arts Festival

When: July 22–28, various times
Where: Various locations in the Eastside Arts District
Admission: Varies

For an entire week, the Eastside Arts Society will present CREATE! Throughout this arts festival, a variety of events, hands-on artistic programs, classes, and experiences will be open to the public. This includes art studios, live mural painting, public art installations, and more. While there, you can also enjoy the beer garden, craft breweries, and food trucks. From Strathcona to East 4th avenue, immerse yourself in the arts, try your hand at a workshop, enjoy live performances, and support local artists.

Art Downtown

When: Wednesdays July 3–Aug. 28, 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Where: Lot 19, 855 W Hastings, Vancouver
Admission: Free!

The Vancouver Visual Art Foundation presents Art Downtown, the 5th annual free event that will showcase the work of local artists like Taisha Teal, Maria Ramirez Osses, and more. This also includes performances by artists who have yet to be revealed, so be sure to visit to see which musicians pop up every week. This event will provide an open space for visitors to enjoy the summer weather while also celebrating local artists by learning about their various cultures and art forms. Art Downtown was created as an “open-air gallery and artist studio” that helps unify individuals with the arts. 

Slip Slap Trip Wack

When: July 26: 5:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m., and July 27 and 28: 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
Where: Russian Hall, 600 Campbell Ave., Vancouver 
Admission: Adults: $15, Youth: $5, Children under 12: $5 or entrance with any toy or book. Tickets available at the door.

For three days, Leaky Heaven will be producing Slip Slap Trip Wack. This show will bring the imaginary worlds of eight to 12 year old children to life from artists and youth who live near the Russian Hall, where the showcase is taking place. The performance will encourage collaboration from the audience by having them watch and participate. The concept behind the piece is a reminder for kids to be kids, and for adults to find joy in the little things and not lose their sense of playfulness and light. Taking inspiration from Our Gang and The Little Rascals of the 1920s, Slip Slap Trip Wack will have you reminiscing about your childhood while joining in on the fun.