Songs to listen to when you’re going through it

0
506
A collage featuring four album covers for each track listed in the article.
PHOTOS: Courtesy of Cult Records; Columbia Records; Warner Records; Phinisey

By: Isabella Urbani, Staff Writer

PHOTO: Courtesy of Cult Records

When You Were Made” by The Growlers

Best lyric: You were the reason, they stuck around / But you’re old enough now

The vibe: You’re crying, but they’re happy tears 

Genre: Alternative/Indie

I came across this song after I watched Madison Beer put it on the “Playlist of Her Life.” Like Beer, I’m a child of divorce, and while many people have divorced parents, this is the only song I’ve heard dedicated specifically to the topic. “When You Were Made” doesn’t delve into the hardships of a broken relationship, but reassures children of divorce that even if they can’t remember it, there was a time when their parents were a happy couple — when you were born. It was eye-opening to listen to this song at 16–17 years old. My parents were together practically all my life, and then poof, just like that, they weren’t. You start to forget all the good, and just dwell on the bad. But the notion that my existence is proof they were once in love makes me happy. 

Add these to your playlist, too:

PHOTO: Courtesy of Columbia Records

Matilda” by Harry Styles 

Best lyric: You can throw a party full of everyone you know / and not invite your family cause’ they never showed you love / You don’t have to be sorry for leaving and growing up

The vibe: You’re underappreciated and need someone to throw you a line

Genre: Pop/Ballad 

I was convinced this song was written for me when it first came out, and nothing’s changed — I am Matilda. The lyrics are scaringly similar to what my friends tell me after I drunkenly (or maybe not so drunkenly) explain that I’ve been raising my younger siblings since I was nine, and I only stay in my father’s house for them. The story of my life has been being everyone’s everything, but nobody’s anything. And when that’s the way it’s always been, you just assume that’s how it is for everyone. You start feeling guilty and blame yourself for other people’s lack of love or care because it kills you to victimize them. In “Matilda,” Styles is the friend who breaks the tough news: you can’t force your family to love you. 

Add these to your playlist, too:

PHOTO: Courtesy of Warner Records

die first” by Nessa Barrett 

Best lyric: Cause’ I don’t wanna live without you / I don’t wanna ever learn how to fall asleep without yo

The vibe: You’re overcome by love 

Genre: Pop/Alternative/Indie

Oof, morality. If you’re like me, and freak yourself out about dying, remember the alternative is living forever. I don’t think I’d be happy doing that — dragging on through life, getting older. What makes life worth living is the fact you’re on borrowed time. You make do with what you have, for as long as you’ll have it. I’d only wish I could spend that precious time with someone I love so much — I’d rather die than spend a second without them. That’s truly special. 

Add these to your playlist, too:

PHOTO: Courtesy of Phinisey

OH!” by Aqyila 

Best lyric: I heard that hurt people hurt who they love the most / and hearts never break equal I hate that now I know

The vibe: You’re starting to heal

Genre: Pop/Soul/R&B

Unrequited love sucks. Unrequited pain is worse. It took me a long time to realize that it hurt more to hold on to a version of someone than to learn to expect nothing from them. No matter how hard I tried, it was fruitless. I couldn’t change them. They’d never do what I ask of them, even if all I’m asking for is their love. While I was torn in two, they weren’t really phased. I could be crying in my bedroom, and I knew they would be continuing on with their day like nothing ever happened. Because to them, what they said meant nothing to them. It hurts that you’re carrying the burden of their unresolved trauma. And it hurts that no matter what, you still love them. You feel guilty for getting angry at them, and you start to believe that maybe you’re in the wrong. This song perfectly encapsulates the pain of being hurt by someone you love and wondering why they do what they do, and how they have no remorse for doing it. It’s a cold reality. Enough to make you sit back and go, “oh,” when you finally figure it out. 

Add these to your playlist, too: