Chris Fleming rocks Rio Theatre

The Cleaning Mom arrived in Vancouver just in time for the Just For Laughs Northwest Festival

0
646
Image courtesy of JFL Northwest Festival

By: Zoe Vedova, Humour Editor

Theatre lights dim and comedian Chris Fleming struts out across the stage like a prehistoric emu who’s stumbled onto a fashion runway. Adorned in a purple velour jacket and indigo velvet pants that don’t quite reach his ankles, Fleming could be cast as Willy Wonka in a Wes Anderson remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at any moment.

Cheers of thrilled anticipation burst from the crowd at the Rio Theatre as soon as he enters. He instantly commands the stage without ever impressing an authoritative distance between himself and the audience. With a conversational grin, he declares he looks like a “used party napkin that went through the laundry.” The humour might be self-deprecating, but the joke is delivered with intrepid confidence that creates easy amiability with the crowd.

My voice raises to join the shrikes and jolts of laughter. I’ve followed Chris Fleming’s comedic work for years online; after watching his YouTube videos mocking the antics of theatre kids and viewing his webseries, Gayle, with near scholarly dedication, I was awestruck as brand new song and dance routines were mixed into fresh monologues. The audience gasped with laughter as a psychedelic pop beat started and Fleming launched into song , the part-dance-part-slideshow production called, “The Grad Student Shuffle.” It mocked the pretentiousness of University grad students with lines like, “now appear mindful, even though you’re addicted to porn.” He even had a few quippy comments about Vancouver, such as, “I have never felt farther from a crime in my entire life,” which, without space for disagreement,  was met with startled laughter.

Chris Fleming is a queer icon helping inspire a new wave of incredible LGBTQ+ comedy for everyone to enjoy.