Grad Corner

0
422

Summer fun

The GSS is offering its members some discounts on tickets this summer. Members that purchase tickets for Playland and the PNE from the GSS will get a 10 per cent discount.

The society is also offering a discount on BC Lions tickets on July 10 and October 10 that can be purchased online by using a provided promo code.

Happy eighth birthday GSS!

The GSS will be celebrating its eighth birthday on July 29 at the Highland Pub! Appetizers, cupcakes, and one free drink will be provided for each grad student! Register in advance if you wish to attend.

SFU Educator talks

An event series that will launch in Fall 2015, SFU Educator Talks will feature presentations on teaching. The goal of the series is to encourage interdisciplinary discussion and encourage the sharing of exciting teaching ideas. Graduate students, TAs, TMs, sessional instructors, faculty, staff, and recent alumni interested in presenting are encouraged to fill out and submit an application form at sfu.ca.

The organizing committee is also asking that graduate students talk to their departmental grad caucus about supporting the event.

Kinder Morgan Pipeline

Council also discussed recent developments of the Kinder Morgan expansion. On July, the GSS posted a media release on their website in response to Kinder Morgan reportedly donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to Kwantlen Polytechnic University and Thompson Rivers University, contingent on the approval of the Trans Mountain Expansion Project.

In the release, the GSS condemned the donations as “corruption of [the] environmental review process.” Mark Perry, Director of External Relations for the GSS, reported that administration informed him that SFU does not intend to accept money from Kinder Morgan while the pipeline project is under review.