Trudeau is not ready to be Prime Minister

3
991

I don’t often have good things to say about Mr. Justin Trudeau, but I have to admit that I was impressed with him immediately following the shooting of Corporal Nathan Cirillo. For the first time since becoming leader of the Liberal Party, I actually saw him show characteristics that one would expect in a Prime Minister, someone who could actually lead the country. Fortunately for me, this was short-lived, as Trudeau went back to his standard operating procedure — acting and speaking before thinking.

It was bad enough when Trudeau accused the government of “whip[ping] out our CF-18s [to] show [. . .] how big they are” as his initial response to Canada’s involvement in the international coalition to stop ISIS from overrunning Iraq. This statement would have been an inappropriate and juvenile comment in any case, but his multiple follow-up comments continue to showcase his lack of understanding with regards to the situation in Middle East.

Around the same time that he made the previous statement, the ‘wanna-be’ Prime Minister was asked what Canada’s response would be if Turkey was attacked by ISIS, given our obligations under Article 5 of the Washington Treaty — the treaty that established NATO.

Article 5 has been called the backbone of the alliance; it establishes that if a NATO ally is the victim of an armed attack, each and every other member of the Alliance will consider this act of violence as an armed attack against all members and will take the actions it deems necessary to assist the ally attacked. Trudeau had to be told what Article 5 was before answering the question, and when he did answer, his response was that there would be a discussion before our nation fulfilled its treaty obligations.

Trudeau is setting himself up to create a party where dissention and free speech are prohibited.

To make matters worse, the Liberal leader also seems to think that in place of airstrikes against Islamic State militants, Canada should provide its winter expertise to aid “refugees, [and] displaced peoples fleeing violence who are facing a very, very cold winter in the mountains.” For reference, the coldest recorded temperature in Iraq is -3°C, which is warmer than it was when I woke up this morning to head up Burnaby Mountain. Somehow, I think they’re more concerned about the murderous terrorists.

Though really, we shouldn’t be surprised to get commentary like this from a man whose other foreign policy statements have included concern over Russian intervention in Ukraine due to their hockey team coming up short in the Sochi Olympics, and having a “level of admiration [. . .] for China because [of] their basic dictatorship.”

His domestic policies aren’t much better. His track record was already somewhat soured by his misguided beliefs that controlling and regulating pot would make it harder for young people to buy and that “the budget will balance itself.”

Though he was applauded as champion for women’s rights earlier this year after declaring “that future candidates need to [understand] that they will be expected to vote pro-choice on any bills,” this policy shows him to have no respect for the differing viewpoints that make Canada such a progressive nation.

By demanding complete adherence to his own opinions, Trudeau is setting himself up to create a party where dissention and free speech are prohibited — hardly something you would expect from a democratic leader.

As the country counts down the days until Canadians head to the polls, Trudeau continues to prove exactly what the Conservatives have been saying all along: he’s simply not ready. One can only hope that the rest of the nation realizes it before October.

1. Justin Trudeau will never be ready to be the Prime Minister of Canada. He has his Father’s arrogance and his Mother’s brains – a dangerous combination that will lead this great nation down the road to ruin.

2. Having lived in the U.S. for 20 years and then returning to Canada some 36 years ago, I see the fear in people here to speak up and demand better government. If this boy is elected PM I will sell our home and move again out of my beloved Canada because the freedoms that we have enjoyed will be stripped from us. Wake up Canadians before it is too late. If you value democracy, freedom of speech, the rights of every Canadian, DO NOT VOTE FOR THIS twin of P.E. Trudeau, he will destroy this great nation.

3. He does not know what he doesn’t know. Article 5 is one of those situations. He has simply been a rather incurious and unrigorous trust fund slug that suddenly listened to sycophants voicing unrealistic reminisces of the Trudeau era. You have to have very real intellectual depth, principal and gravitas to impress or gain respect from even your worst critics in order to survive. Trudeau impresses no one except those of the same fatuous light weight ilk. His speeches come from others, and none of those comes uncoached from a serious thoughtful inner strength.