University Briefs

0
449

Student swaps sandwiches for stories

University of Calgary third-year communications student Sam Sawchuk has begun Sandwich for a Story, an initiative where he provides a homeless person with a sandwich in exchange for the story of how they came to live on the streets.

Working with fellow Calgarian Evan Beck, Sawchuk said the stories they’ve heard countered popular stereotypes about homeless people.

“Everyone has a unique story. There are a lot of successful people these days that grew up in harsh environments and I don’t think that the circumstance of being homeless can really dictate where your life could be headed,” Sawchuk said.

With files from The Gauntlet

Queen’s launches support group for sexual assault survivors

A new support group at Queen’s for survivors of sexual assault, called Psycho-Educational Group for Survivors of Sexual Assault (PEGaSUS), is looking to help students cope with their trauma and work towards recovery.

The support group — which is kept to around 10 to 12 students in order to maintain an “intimate” setting — meets every Thursday, but anyone is able to join.

“The primary goal is for students to have a forum where they can be invited to use their voice, express themselves in a safe environment, to break that isolation and to develop [. . .] that sense of empowerment through the collective experience,” said Arig al Shaibah, assistant dean of student affairs and support group chair.

With files from The Journal

ISIS supporter hacks UNBSU website

The University of New Brunswick Student Union website is back online after it was overtaken by an organization supporting the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria last Monday night.

A group called Team System DZ hacked the site, along with hundreds others, and posted their organization’s name as well as anti-American rhetoric and the following phrase: “God’s law is in progress. The Islamic nation is coming and god’s law will be applied. You have been warned.” Below the organization’s name on the site read, “i love you isis.”

UNBSU vice president external Nicole Saulnieri said, “We are working with our website provider to protect ourselves from this type of vandalism in the future.”

With files from The Aquinian