University Briefs

0
517

WEB-University Briefs-Enrique Lin

Students choose arts and social sciences over high-paying majors

According to a new CIBC World Markets report, university students are still pursuing low-paying majors over lucrative ones — and they know it. Benjamin Tal, CIBC Deputy Chief Economist, notes that fields like physics, math, medicine, and engineering will “. . . have this nice rate of return on education . . . social science [and] those kinds of fields do not give you the same rate of return.”

Though students are aware when they enter lower-income fields, the number of students applying for higher-salary majors has not increased over the last decade, says the report. It suggests that the trend is driven by the joy of learning about fine arts and social sciences.

With files from CBC News

Saint Mary’s Frosh leaders slammed for controversial chant

Community members both on and off Saint Mary’s campus are up in arms after an Instagram video captured Frosh leaders teaching a chant to new students that glorifies non-consensual sex with underage girls.

The chant — which according to Student Association President Jared Perry has been taught to Frosh for years — goes, “Y is for your sister, O is for ‘oh so tight,’ U is for underage, N is for no consent, G is for grab that ass — Saint Mary’s boys we like them young.”

In reaction to the chant, the University has ordered the 80 frosh week leaders and the entire Saint Mary’s University student union executive to take sensitivity training. Additionally, the executive is being sent to a conference on issues of sexual violence and consent at St. Francis Xavier University next week.

With files from The Journal

Saving face by wearing makeup

Pissed your pants during a nerve-wracking tutorial presentation? A new University of Toronto study suggests putting on makeup may relieve your embarrassment. The research suggests that metaphorical thinking — like saving your face by restoring it with makeup — affects daily behaviour and helps cope with negative emotions like humiliation.

“Although embarrassment leads people both to hide their face [with an item like sunglasses] and to restore their face, only by restoring their face can their embarrassment be decreased,” doctoral student Ping Dong explains. “It is interesting to speculate that people who wear cosmetics on a daily basis may be more tolerant of potentially embarrassing behaviour.”

With files from The University of Toronto News