University Briefs

0
434

Bill 78 used for the first time

Nineteen students at the University of Montreal are under investigation for not adhering to the controversial back-to-school law.  On the first day of school, masked protesters stormed the university causing a commotion, banging on pots and pulling fire alarms, in addition to ordering students to leave.  Macleans on Campus reported an incident in which an elderly teacher shoved back a group of demonstrators to keep them from entering his class.

UBC student attacked by grizzly bear

Julia Stafford, a 20-year-old UBC student from Seattle, Washington, was dragged six meters by a grizzly bear while she was collecting rock samples near Anchorage, Alaska.  Stafford told press that a mother bear and her two cubs surprised them while she and her team began to back away.  Before she was able to get a hold of her bear spray, the mother bear was on top of her.  She received scratches and a broken bone in her hand, which may require surgery.  

McGill makes history

Last Tuesday McGill’s 5,038-kg fruit salad claimed the prize of the largest in history during the orientation week at the university.  The feat beat out Fresno State University’s previous salad by around 700 pounds.  The salad was mainly comprised of 2,250 kg of watermelon, 1,012 kg of pineapple and 162 kg of strawberries.  It was fed to those there at the time, with portions sent to the school cafeteria, homeless shelters, and Meals on Wheels.

– Graham Cook