Board Shorts

0
529

Board Shorts

Notes from the latest SFSS Board of Directors meeting.

By Alison Roach

LDC out as SUB location

Build SFU project manager Marc Fontaine presented a site evaluation document to Board that evaluated eight sites on their value to students as the possible home of the future student union building. Criteria included closeness to transportation and academic buildings, potential for “pass-through” opportunities, and possible risks and costs related to each site. Though unfinalized, the document pinpointed the lower bus loop and a site called “Greenfield South,” just near Strand Hall, as the strongest contenders for the site.

Fontaine also announced that the results of an extensive evaluation of the Lorne Davies Complex — which was previously the strongest contender for the site — showed that the building is in too poor of a condition to be the home of the future SUB. Due to structural, capacity, and relocation issues, the building is no longer under consideration.

Burritos to come to the MBC

The board passed the approval of a sublease agreement with Guadalupe Restaurants Inc., which allows the company to take space in the MBC food court, to operate under the name “Guadalupe Homemade Burritos.” The society has received a security deposit from the restaurant, and Financial Coordinator Vanessa Kwong said they were given a “standard form of lease.” The company is owned by two brothers who were trained in Texas Tex-Mex fare, and will focus exclusively on Tex-Mex style burritos. With the opening of the restaurant, The Ladle will cease to offer their veggie burritos.

Anti-Stigma Campaign

Health Sciences Faculty Rep Dhylan Verzosa presented the plan for an Anti-Stigma for Mental Health Campaign, which will focus on increasing awareness and decreasing stigma around mental health issues facing students. The Anti-Stigma campaign will create an PSA on the history of mental health to disseminate around campus, and follow up with an outreach portion of engagement and interaction with students. The SFSS contribution for the project is suggested at $2,500 to be taken out of the advocacy budget, pending FASC and board approval.