By: Melissa Campos

CHINA Deadly landslide leaves village searching for the missing

The civilians of a village in Maoxian county in Sichuan, China became victims to a devastating landslide this week that took the lives of 15 people and left over 120 missing. The province of Sichuan is no stranger to natural disasters, having suffered a massive earthquake that left 87,000 people dead or missing in 2008. The landslide is thought to have been caused by heavy rainfall and a lack of vegetation. Rescue teams continue to work to uncover many others trapped beneath the coat of heavy rock that covers the village.

With files from BBC News.

TURKEY Gay Pride parade banned in Istanbul for the third year in a row

After being told they could not participate in a Gay Pride parade in the Turkish capital of Istanbul, organizers of the event insisted on marching anyways to protest the ban they deemed unconstitutional. Armed police met the marchers before they could enter the street where the rally was to begin, detaining at least ten people in the process. The government’s original reasoning for the ban responded to threats received by nationalist groups. However, the opposition maintains that the conservative government continues to use these threats as an excuse for homophobic actions.

With files from BBC News.

PAKISTAN Over 150 people killed in fuel tanker explosion

In the city of Ahmedpur East, Pakistan, civilians were killed as a tanker carrying 25,000 litres of fuel ignited. Villagers were originally gathered around the crashed vehicle on the side of the road to collect fuel that was spilling out of it before a lit cigarette initiated the explosion. Authorities are finding it difficult to treat the severely burned survivors, as the city does not have the medical infrastructure. Road conditions within the area are known to be unsafe and are thought to have contributed to the cause of the crash.

With files from BBC News.

UNITED STATES Ohio governor’s website hacked with ISIS message

A number of Ohio websites were hacked to display a message campaigning for the so-called Islamic State against President Trump this week. The message stated that Trump and “all [his] people” would be held accountable “for every drop of blood flowing in Muslim countries.” The hack was performed by a group called Team System DZ, and it is currently unconfirmed whether there is a connection with the so-called Islamic State. American authorities are currently trying to determine how the hackers were able to attain administrative access to these classified sites.

With files from CNN.