University Briefs

0
474

[VANCOUVER] – Six sponsored student refugees will be attending UBC this fall, aided by a collaborative effort between UBC and the World University Service of Canada. This is not the first time that UBC has supported refugees: the school established its refugee program in the late 1970s.

UBC recently doubled the number of students it can accept into the program, in part to help student refugees from Syria. UBC’s student refugee coordinator, Akuechbeny Kuol, said the school will do its best to support the incoming refugees, offering free campus housing as well as additional help in finding employment.

With files from The Ubyssey

[OTTAWA] – A congregation of University of Ottawa students have rallied together after Ottawa police killed Abdirahman Abdi, a Somali man who was autistic. Protesters expressed their outrage against the alleged police brutality that took place back in July.

Leila Moumouni-Tchouassi and Faduma Wais, university students and members of the Ottawa Black Diaspora, led the event. Similar rallies calling for an end to anti-black violence were held across Canada. The Ottawa rally featured chants, and acknowledgments of the values of not only black lives, but also those of First Nations people.  

With files from The Fulcrum

[TORONTO] – Humber College has announced that it is the recipient of over $21 million in federal government funding. This funding — along with investments from the Province of Ontario and Humber College itself — will be used to support the school’s sustainability initiatives.

Over $15 million of the funding will be dedicated to the Centre of Technology and Innovation, which is focused in advancing energy efficiency. Another project will be the Integrated College Energy Master Plan, an attempt to drastically decrease the school’s energy use by 2034, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.  

With files from CBC News

[BC] – Camosun College’s Gilbert Noussitou, chair of culinary arts, has created a program to educate students and revitalize Camosun’s edible garden, due to the vandalism and neglect the garden has faced.  

He intends to use signs to instruct the student body on how to use and properly maintain the edible garden. Noussitou hopes that the culinary students will be able to use the program every day by using herbs to create fresh menu items. He stressed the economic, health, and environmental benefits that come from eating and cultivating an edible garden.

With files from Nexus