University Briefs

0
396
Photo courtesy of The Varsity

U of T archaeologist traces history of wine

[TORONTO]  — University of Toronto archaeologist Stephen Batiuk has discovered that wine may have been invented over 6,000 years ago in Georgia.

Findings show that, back then, wine had significant importance to daily life as it was often used as a form of payment and to climb up the social ladder. However, wine, unlike beer, could not be produced at all times during the year.

With files from The Varsity

Scholarship for LGBT activism offered at U of S

[SASKATOON] —  The University of Saskatchewan, for the first time in its history, is to offer a law scholarship which recognizes work towards LGBT activism and the contributions of LGBT students.

The Brad Berg and Brian Rolfes LGBT Rights Scholarship will provide the recipient with $25,000 over four years. The award is for a student that works towards LGBT rights through their academic or community involvement. Now a couple, both Berg and Rolfes graduated from the U of S College of Law and created this scholarship with the hopes of making a real difference for the LGBT community.

With files from The Sheaf

U of C takes science to the streets

[CALGARY] — The University of Calgary  is putting on a five-day festival with sixty events, which will include contributions from the university’s best and brightest scientists, engineers, and artists.

The event, Beakerhead, returns to Calgary from September 16 to 20 and will explore the result of combining technical and creative disciplines. It will feature “science busking,” where impromptu science experiments will take place on the street. The campus itself will host a “giant flying robotic dragonfly” and an interactive art show.

With files from The Gauntlet