Coeur de Pirate’s new album is the best of both worlds

0
1041
Photo courtesy of Coeur de Pirate.

I’ll understand if the name Coeur de Pirate fails to register with you. Despite eight years’ worth of material, including three original studio full-lengths and one album of covers, the stage moniker for French-Canadian artist Beatrice Martin doesn’t command the immediate attention it probably should. A Quebec native and musician since the ripe age of three, most of Martin’s accolades so far have been those reserved for French musicians — but the standard seems poised to be shattered with her latest album, the grandiose Roses. 

In the past I might have filed Martin’s music under the made-up genre of “French heartbreak-pop,” but this might now be a dated assertion with Martin’s latest foray. A lot has changed for the singer since 2011’s Blonde, including (but not limited to) marriage and motherhood, and the maturity that inevitably comes with such major life events are aptly reflected in the album.

There are still notes of tragedy in Coeur’s fourth studio album, but there’s a lightness that’s unfamiliar to her discography. Look to lead single “Carry On” for an example of how Coeur’s style has shifted: while still several notches lower than other notoriously upbeat acts (think Brooklyn’s Matt & Kim), the track would be better fitted for, say, a pleasant bike ride along the seawall than for an emotional breakup. Even “I Don’t Want to Break Your Heart,” a song about the reluctant but eventual acceptance of the end of a relationship, features a verse from Minnesota rapper Allan Kingdom.

Aside from the tone, the most notable shift in Coeur’s latest is the expanded presence of English in Martin’s songwriting. (If we’re being specific, only four of Roses’ 11 tracks have French titles, including a French version of “Carry On.”)  Martin has stated she’s interested in reaching a wider audience, an understandable goal for any musician, though I can see how the transition might be alienating to those used to hearing Martin sing in her native language.

Overall, Roses marks a bold departure for Martin in the form of a glass half-full, bilingual gem.