University Briefs

0
389
Image credit: The Runner

Kwantlen cuts athletics funding

[SURREY] — In line with Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s strategic plan, the university’s varsity athletics program will receive a major budget cut, bringing its soccer, golf, and possibly basketball teams to an end within the next two years.

Their membership with PACWEST, the regional collegiate sports authority, will also be terminated and funding will be re-allocated within the university for “health and wellness opportunities to [all students].” Varsity sports are currently only located at the Surrey campus. Student athletes were given a say at their town hall discussion on Thursday, July 16.

With files from The Runner

Ontario students can redeem Aeroplan points for tuition

[TORONTO] — The Government of Ontario has announced the establishment of the Ontario Student Assistance Program and the Higher Ed Points program, which allow for Aeroplan miles to be used to pay tuition. 35,000 points can be exchanged and used to pay $250 of tuition, which would have required around $35,000 in purchases with Aeroplan partners to acquire as many points.

The Canadian Federation of Students is heavily criticising the government for turning the serious problem of student debt into a “loyalty program that asks [students] to spend money they don’t have.” The University of Toronto is not currently one of the participating institutions, but the program is aimed at all Canadian post-secondary institutions.

With files from The Varsity

McGill medical program on probation

[MONTREAL] — McGill University’s undergraduate medical program has been put on probation by the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools due to a lack of women’s health and domestic violence education.

Based on a preliminary review this February, the lack of documentation and curricular planning on those issues led to the decision. While their accreditation is still valid, there will be further discussion and planning between McGill and the Committee, with the goal to have all problems addressed by 2017.

The school has acknowledged the lack of documentation, such as meeting minutes, as a reason for this probation. This was echoed by students, who have mentioned a lack of feedback for filed complaints.

With files from The McGill Daily