University Briefs

0
433
Photo courtesy of The McGill Daily

Students participate in social housing protests

[MONTREAL] — Protests in Montreal calling for affordable housing and increased social spending were met with police resistance, forcibly ending the demonstrations.

The Front d’action populaire en réaménagement urbain (FRAPRU) is an affordable housing group that attempted to create a tent camp to protest a lack of government investment in social housing.

The tent camps were set up near to numerous government buildings, including the police and the health authorities, and all were swiftly met with police. Many McGill student groups and students joined the protests.

With files from The McGill Daily

Student app rates Carleton courses

[OTTAWA] — Two Carleton University students have created a new Google Chrome extension that allows students to simultaneously view RateMyProfessor.com’s ratings while building their schedules.

Chris Baker and Paul Yammine, third-year computing science students, originally built the application “for fun,” but it has since been met with positive feedback from its 400 current users.

To combat what they see as an often biased view from RateMyProfessor.com, Yammine and Baker’s app also examines the number of ratings to allow for users to determine if low ratings are brought about by an angry minority.

While students praise the app, the school is warning users to be cautious of the ratings, citing the lack of representation for professor availability.

With files from The Charleton

U of C professor’s book found on bin Laden’s shelf

[CALGARY] — University of Calgary professor Barry Cooper found himself under the spotlight for his book on political philosophy; but not for the usual reasons.

His book, New Political Religions, or an Analysis of Modern Terrorism, was one of 38 English books found in Osama bin Laden’s Pakistan residence, the same residence successfully stormed by US Navy SEALs in 2011.

The book examined the spiritual aspects of motivating terrorists, and it examined bin Laden’s Al-Qaeda closely. Cooper was “bewildered” that his book, which discusses an unorthodox view on terrorism, was possessed by bin Laden. “It’d be interesting to see if he made any notes,” said Cooper. “I suspect I’d find a lot of disagreement.”

With files from The Gauntlet