University Briefs

0
427

Joe Fresh contributes $1 million to Ryerson’s fashion centre 

Fashion students at Ryerson University rejoiced as the Canadian brand, Joe Fresh, announced its donation to and collaboration with the university’s fashion program to “create a new fashion innovation centre: The Joe Fresh Centre.”

The centre will provide students with access to workspaces, mentorship programs, and seed funding, which will “[put] Toronto on the fashion map may happen a lot sooner than later.”

Third-year fashion communications student Katy Sun noted, “We’ve got some really talented people here that are passionate about what they do. As students, most of us probably don’t have the funds to start our own business, so it’s a great opportunity.”

With files from The Ryersonian

UQAM threatens striking students with suspension and expulsion

Administration at Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) have announced intentions to take an assertive approach against students who took to the streets of downtown Montreal last week to protest increasing tuition fees.

Nine students were informed that they could potentially “face either one-year suspensions or [. . .] outright expulsion as a result of actions committed during protests on campus over the past two years.”

Although UQAM has a history of political activism, one of the students threatened with expulsion, Justine Boulanger, explained that such a threat is unprecedented. “It’s the first time the university has issued notice of disciplinary action for political activities,” she said.

With files from The National Post

Rotten food served at Memorial University triggers social media outcry

Pictures of mouldy lemons, undercooked pork chops, and dead flies in tacos served at Memorial University’s dining hall are among the images that students have been posting on sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Imgur.

Dining hall meal plans are mandatory for students living in residence, and cost over $2,000 each semester.

MUN dining services claim that the social media posts may not accurately reflect the issues that should be brought directly to their attention. However, students claim they “regularly bring issues to staff’s attention — and the list of sub-par food experiences can’t be brushed off as social media hype.”

With files from CBC