Sports Briefs

0
420
Image Credit: Austin Cozicar /The Peak

Swimming

Freshman Adrian VanderHelm became the first SFU male swimmer to earn All-American status at the NCAA Division II national championship last Thursday. He achieved second place at the 200-yard freestyle, after being disqualified for the individual medley for a uniform logo violation the previous day.

Lacrosse

SFU Lacrosse finished their five-game road trip with a three-game losing streak in Arizona. After dropping a 14–8 result to the University of Arizona on March 5, they lost back-to-back games on March 8 and 9 to Colorado State and Chapman University. The 11–2 loss against Chapman was SFU’s lowest scoring game this season.

Women’s Basketball

Women’s basketball forward Erin Chambers was named to the West Region First Team. The honour was voted by the NCAA Division II Sports Information Directors Association (D2SIDA). This marks the second consecutive year Chambers has been named to the team.

Men’s Golf

Men’s golf placed third in their first tournament of 2015. At the Notre Dame de Namur Argonaut Invitational held in Livermore, CA on March 9 and 10, the Clan placed first among GNAC competitors. Sophomore Kevin Vigna led the team, while freshman Chris Crisologo shot the Clan’s best individual round with a score of 71 (-1). Vigna was named the GNAC men’s golfer of the week for his efforts.

With files from SFU Athletics