Sports Briefs

0
423
Image Credit: Brandon Hillier /The Peak

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team returned to their winning ways Thursday night, putting up a 103–87 victory over Saint Martin’ University. This marks the Clan’s sixth Great Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) win, double their previous record. Guard Justin Cole once again led SFU in points with 23.

Softball

Softball split the Desert Stinger held in Las Vegas from February 13–15, to improve to a 7–5 record — surpassing last season, where they had only four wins. “I am really pleased to be returning home with a winning record,” head coach Mike Renney told SFU Athletics. “This team is a more battle-tested group than last year’s team, and although we are still young, it’s a competitive and driven bunch.”

Wrestling

SFU’s Abby Lloyd won silver at the Women’s College Wrestling Association Nationals held in St. Louis, MO on Saturday, February 14, while three other wrestlers — Bailey Halvorson, Darby Huckle, and Payten Smith — achieved bronze medals. As a team, SFU finished fourth. The Clan won the national championship in 2013.

UBC or SFU?

On February 17, the UBC Thunderbirds Twitter account announced that Spencer Moore, a linebacker from St. Thomas More Collegiate, who had initially signed a letter of intent with SFU football, has instead committed to UBC. Last week, recruiting coordinator Bryan Wyllie told The Peak that Moore was the most college-ready prospect of the then-four signings.

Track and Field

SFU’s track and field team competed at the University of Washington (UW) Husky Classic and the UW Open from February 13-15. Clan senior Jennifer Johnson moved to first in the GNAC and third in NCAA Division II competition by shaving eight seconds off her previous best time for the 3000 m race.

Clan Gathering

SFU Athletics announced February 16 that TSN commentator and SFU alumnus Farhan Lalji will be the MC for the Gathering of the Clan breakfast to be held on Tuesday, March 3. The event, which will also feature Steve Nash as a speaker, costs $200 per seat, and aims to raise money for athletic scholarships at SFU.

With files from SFU Athletics and @ubctbirds.