Gone Girl sees one mystery from two perspectives

0
500

Gone Girl is a loose adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s novel of the same name. Contrary to my usual preference, it was unexpectedly refreshing to delve into the novel after watching the film.

The film was intriguing in its own right, and as an adaptation, it draws wonderful parallels to the novel. A well-produced film adaptation does not necessarily mean that the final product will be identical to the novel, and despite the adjustments made to the plot and the structure, the film was able to remain true to the essence of Flynn’s style.

The story follows Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) as he discovers that his wife is missing and struggles to uncover the real reason behind her disappearance. His wife, Amy Elliot (Rosamund Pike), is known by the public as Amazing Amy, a caricature created by her parents for a popular children’s series modeled after Amy’s childhood.

The narrative focuses on Nick’s perspective of the investigation, with entries from Amy’s dairy scattered throughout and, eventually, the film shifts to Amy’s perspective. The two perspectives create enough doubt that the audience is placed in almost the same situation as the public within the story. The truth gradually unfolds and the mystery unravels.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, some of the dialogue was amusing. Compared to simply reading words in a book and using your imagination, the element of visual representation found in film, along with mannerisms and tone of voice, add another layer to this story. Ultimately, humour becomes a counterpoint that makes the situation seem even more ironic.

Meanwhile, all the other little details remain consistent. The colour scheme, for example, remains relatively neutral throughout the film, never exploding into anything overly bright or vibrant. The camera also used wide shots, so the setting appears truly calm and unaffected. Even from the beginning, there is an air of oddity in the perfect setting and the feeling that something isn’t quite right.

In the end, it becomes harder to justify whether it is Nick or Amy who is in the right, or whether they even deserve to be shielded from the hidden truth. These two characters who love each other, yet can’t stand each other’s presence, are both missing something important, and they find it in each other.