Prenatal exposure to chemicals linked to lower IQs

1
439

A recent study conducted by Simon Fraser University researchers found that exposure to flame retardants during pregnancy can lead to lower IQs and hyperactive behaviours in children. 

The birth cohort study was originally designed to test the impact that chemical exposures have on the developing brain.

SFU health sciences professor Bruce Lanphear is part of a research team who study these effects; they hope results will lead to the creation of a systematic approach in testing these chemicals by the federal government. 

Lanphear and his team conducted their study by examining the levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), a type of flame retardant, in pregnant women. PBDEs are persistent organic pollutants that were withdrawn from the US market in 2004 due to concerns of toxicity. The team observed the levels of PBDEs in expectant mothers who were 16 weeks pregnant, and subsequently monitored these levels over time until their children reached the age of five.

The researchers reported that a tenfold increase in a woman’s exposure to flame retardants during pregnancy — routinely found in furniture, car seats, and pajamas — led to a 4.5 IQ decrease for her child.

Lanphear speculated as to the meaning behind the results. “The developing brain is more vulnerable to toxins. Cells that are undergoing rapid growth tend to be more vulnerable to neurotoxins, and exposure to flame retardants could be responsible, in part, for learning problems, or behavioural problems like ADHD, in children.” 

Lanphear noted that PBDE levels are higher in North America than in other parts of the world due to previous regulations that actually required higher amounts of the chemicals in the manufacturing of products such as furniture.

While the majority of modern North American products built after 2005 should contain little to no traces of PBDEs, the chemicals have been detected in foods such as fish and other meats, making exposure a significant risk.

Regarding the results, Lanphear said, “It is time to regulate these chemicals like we regulate drugs and test them for toxicity before they are marketed.”