Skylor Davis qualifies for NCAA Div II Championships

0
557

Clan wrestler Skylor Davis will return to the NCAA National Championships in his senior season, as the sole SFU athlete to qualify for the event.

Davis finished second in the 125-pound weight class at the NCAA West Regional Championships, punching his ticket to his final NCAA Championship. He entered the regionals ranked second overall, and finished in the same position after falling in the final 9–6 by decision to California Baptist’s Bryden Lazaro.

Davis will be looking to better his third-place finish from 2013 where he fell in the national semi-final, but still left on a high note as the Clan’s first NCAA All-American in wrestling.

Davis, still ranked second in the nation in his weight class, has been focusing his efforts towards his final appearance in the NCAA this season. He will likely have to face Lazaro again at the championships as the West Region champion is the number one seed heading into the event.

Davis’ coach, Justin Abdou, explained that there were several calls that favoured Lazaro in the West Region final, but that Davis had an excellent show against the top 125-pound wrestler in the country.

Davis has earned over 40 wins in his senior season, many of which have been won by fal l and in very fast times. Davis has been a dominant athlete for SFU since joining the Clan in 2010, and will look to close his career on top of the NCAA Division II championships beginning March 14, in Cleveland, OH.