SFU Surrey student shortlisted for national award

0
577

WEB-Japreet Lehal-flickr-Pamr

A SFU Surrey student has been shortlisted for a national award as a result of his advocacy for democratic participation in his community.

Selected from over 200 applicants, Japreet Lehal is among 13 fellow Canadians shortlisted for the Everyday Political Citizen award. Sponsored by Samara, a charitable organization that encourages Canadians to get involved with politics, the Everyday Political Citizen contest looks to reward one adult and one minor for their democratic advocacy.

“It is a great honour for me to be recognized for my contributions, alongside many other talented individuals,” Lehal told The Peak. “As one who has always been passionate about human rights and raising my voice on important social issues, I feel very humbled to have been named a finalist.”

Samara was inspired to sponsor this award after their national research initiative, Democracy Reports, revealed that Canadians feel there is a lack of positive political role models. The report also showed that while 55 per cent of Canadians have volunteered in their communities in the past year, only 10 per cent have volunteered on a political campaign in the last five years.

To respond to this show of political disengagement, Samara decided to launch the Everyday Political Citizen project to showcase “a more human side to politics and [provide] role models for those who are considering engaging politically themselves.”

Lehal’s fellow nominees represent the diversity of political engagement across Canada and include the co-founder of Canadian Electoral Alliance, a Victoria city councillor, and a PEI historian and expert advocate.

“How and why someone gets involved shouldn’t be a state secret — it should be a state celebration.”

– Rick Mercer, comedian and jury member

At SFU, Lehal is involved as a senator as well as a member of the board of directors for SFU’s community trust, of which he is the youngest member. Over the past few years, Lehal has helped organize two walk and run fundraisers for the Surrey Memorial Hospital Foundation and has set up petitions against the Quebec Soccer Federation’s turban ban and the Charter of Quebec Values

Not only is Lehal deeply involved in his community, he chooses to share his experiences as a monthly Youth Voice columnist for the Peace Arch News, which is also published in the Surrey Leader. His columns have covered a myriad of topics, ranging from voting and civic engagement, volunteering, social responsibility, child poverty, gender-based abortions, eating disorders, action against flavoured tobacco, and similar issues that affect youth which Lehal feels need greater awareness.

Lehal said, “Being involved in the community as a newspaper columnist, I have strived to use dialogue to advocate for positive change and make a difference.”

Winners will receive a tablet stocked with Canadian books and music as well as a chat with juror and Canadian comedian Rick Mercer.

Mercer commented on his participation for the Samara website, saying, “I’ve ranted a lot about youth voter turnout and garnered some attention just because I lead a public life. There are so many people who keep our democracy moving in private and never get recognized.  How and why someone gets involved shouldn’t be a state secret — it should be a state celebration.”

Winners of the Everyday Political Citizen will be announced on Feb 3.; you can see the results online at http://everydaypoliticalcitizen.tumblr.com/.