University Briefs

0
537

WEB-Board Shorts-Birdwell

Sexual assault on UBC campus

Early on Saturday, Sept. 28th a 19-year-old female student was sexually assaulted while walking down the Biological Sciences Road on UBC’s campus. The male assailant reportedly grabbed her and forcibly brought her into a garden and groped her. In an RCMP press release, the suspect is described as olive skinned, approximately 5’8 and in his mid to late 20‘s. He fled the scene after she screamed and resisted him. RCMP have issued a warning to those out alone on campus to be careful.

With files from The Ubyssey

TRU prepares for the worst 

Thompson Rivers University is in the process of developing a comprehensive safety plan aimed at preparing students for emergencies on campus. Included in the plan are evacuation drills and active shooter drills. One of the first steps in this plan involved the implementation of an alert system this past May.

The university has been struggling to get students to sign up for the system which, in case of an emergency, will send out alerts via text message, phone call or email. Safety manager, Stacey Jyrkkanen says she hopes for the safety program to further develop and maybe down the road simulate a zombie apocalypse in order to practice safety procedures.

With files from The Omega

Next to no confidence in U of R administration

The University of Regina Council nearly passed a motion to have a non-confidence vote regarding their President and provost. The motion is worded as follows, “The University of Regina Council has lost confidence in the President and the Provost and Vice-President  (Academic)” and it called for a vote of non-confidence in 10 days by secret ballot.

After over an hour of debating, the council took a vote on whether to pass the motion. The ballots stacked up 135 against, 134 for, three abstentions and one spoiled ballot, meaning that there will be no vote of non-confidence.

With files from The Carillon