New Miss America signals a triumph for acceptance of attractive diversity

0
491

missamerica2

ATLANTIC CITY — The recent crowning of a new Miss America pageant winner made history as, for once, the honour was not given to a white, thin, able-bodied, stereotypically gorgeous woman but to someone who is all those things except white.

Nina Davuluri, a 23-year old Indian-American woman, took home the crown and according to many observers demonstrated the amazing increase in tolerance of Americans towards minorities who look good in bikinis.

After years of feeling discriminated against and underrepresented in activities that only rely on looks and don’t require any intelligence or the ability to memorize the spelling of words, many Indian-americans say nowthanks to Davuluri’s win they now feel truly accepted in their nation.

“It’s a huge moment for us” explained Harry Chima, a young, perfectly chiseled Indian-American man, “My whole life I’ve felt like people only looked at me as an equal, but now it finally looks like people are going to take me seriously as being a superior specimen.”

Davuluri’s historic accomplishment has apparently inspired people beyond her own community, with even the most neglected minorities now believing that they can do anything they set their mind to as long as its attached to an attractive body.