Peak Week July 8 – 13

0
455

Totoro2

Eats

The Mighty Oak is a little neighbourhood grocery store, located on West 18th Ave. They carry various grocery items like J.R. Liggett’s Old-Fashioned Shampoo, jars of mustards and oils, tomato sauces, pasta, pounds of coffee beans and more. They’re also a cafe, so you can grab an espresso and almond croissant while grabbing things for dinner. Also be sure to check out their supply of local provisions, like Earnest Ice Cream and The Pie Hole.

Beats

Looking for something to do Friday night? Check out East Van Soul Club at the Biltmore on July 12. The night features soul-obsessed two-man DJ crew Slim Roy and Jonny Was, with their legendary vinyl-only dance party. Dress nice and get there early, as these nights tend to fill up pretty quick. You’re guaranteed a night of cutting rugs, plus tickets are only $7 at the door.

Theats

Studio Ghibli is back at the Cinematheque this summer! The world-renowned anime studio was founded in Tokyo in 1985 by Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata and Toshio Suzuki. The studio has produced well-known films such as Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl’s Moving Castle. This week, catch Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, Only Yesterday, My Neighbour Totoro, or Kiki’s Delivery Service. The Studio Ghibli films will be showing until August 5, so you’ve got plenty of chances to catch a few screenings. Check out thecinematheque.ca for the full schedule.

Elites

Upcycled Urbanism: A Design+Build Project for Everyone, as part of Granville Street Build Day, is coming July 13. Hosted in part by the Museum of Vancouver, the project invites students, artists, designers, makers, and anyone else interested in reimagining Vancouver’s public realm. Design teams have been working on new “environments” made of polystyrene blocks and will come together on July 13 in downtown Vancouver for a combination workspace, street celebration, and public art installation. For more details, check out museumofvancouver.ca.

Treats

On July 13, Aloe Designs will be hosting a yard sale at their Pender St. studio to support the Richmond Schoolyard society, which helps teach children about gardening. The garden-themed yard sale will feature gardening books, hand and power tools, outdoor furniture, lawn toys, and decorative accessories. They’re also taking donations prior to the sale, so contact them if you’ve got something you’d like to contribute. Check aloedesigns.com for more info.