Peak Week – March 4, 2013

0
450

Eats

Beaucoup Bakery opened up not too long ago on Fir St., and since then its tiny interior has been steadily filled by those seeking peanut-butter cookie sandwiches and chausson aux pommes. Their baked goods have a decidedly European flair, and they also look like pieces of art. Beaucoup has also just started offering sandwiches: try their avocado, radish, endive and watercress on a croissant for lunch, a salted caramel eclair for dessert, paired with a creamy latte. You’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven.

Beats

Class up your Monday night with an evening straight out of a Tolstoy novel: The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra presents Romeo and Juliet on March 4 at the Centennial Theatre. If you’re a fan of the orchestra and Shakespeare’s tragic love story, this one is sure to please. Some of the best-known pieces from the Russian repertoire, as well as Chopin’s Piano Concerto No. 2, will be performed by Dina Yoffe on the piano. Plus, if you think this kind of class is out of your budget, think again: it’s only $15 for students, or if you’re under 30.

Theats

Consider checking out the Arts Club’s production of How Has My Love Affected You? this week. Marcus Youssef’s play considers the playwright’s difficult relationship with his mother after he discovers a storage locker filled with her journals. The play asks us to question our familial obligations: what do we owe each other, as family members? The Arts Club consistently puts on top-notch productions, and a night out at the theatre is always worthwhile, so grab some tickets and bring a friend.

Elites

Poets and the Social Self is an event happening at SFU on March 7. Wayde Compton, Joanne Arnott, Michael Turner, and Renee Sarojini Saklikar will be reading from their work and discussing the role of the poet in terms of identity in the city space. Compton is the author of two books of poetry, 49th Parallel Psalm and Performance Bond; Arnott’s essays and poetry have been published in numerous anthologies and journals; Saklikar writes thecanadaproject, a life-long poem chronicle; and Turner is an award winning author of fiction, criticism and song. Join them as they ponder what it means to be included or excluded from a city’s history.

Treats

Pay a visit to Long Table Distillery on Hornby St. this week for some quality, hand-crafted spirits. They offer a great selection of gin with a predominant juniper berry flavour, quality vodka, and their apothecary series, ranging from Whisky to Limoncello. The ingredients used are natural and organic, chosen for freshness, and are handpicked by expert wild foragers in local mountains and from fair trade farmers around the world. If you’re a fan of spirits and value quality, a visit to the distillery is a good way to spend an evening — any day of the week.