Peak Week – March 25, 2013

0
386

By Daryn Wright

Eats
Acme Cafe, located at 51 W Hastings, is the ideal spot to slip into for a warm and hearty lunch. Their soup rotates daily, and they also offer daily specials. Try their open-faced roast beef, with a pretzel bun and spicy horseradish, or if you’re really hungry, the Ploughman’s lunch is a sampling of chef ’s choice smoked and cured deli meats and cheeses, roasted veggies, olives, mustard and bread. They also offer coffee on the run, and an entire display case stocked with pies and cakes and cookies. I recommend the peanut butter sandwich cookie. You’ll never look back.

Beats
Breakbot is playing at Fortune Sound Club on March
26. Breakbot is a French electro producer and DJ, whose main game is funky throwback French Touch disco. Along with his coterie of artists such as Justice and Drive soundtrack contributor Kavinsky, Breakbot helped define the warm, vintage sound of 21st century dance music. He’ll be per for ming with guests Matty C, Savemeboots, and Phil David. Tickets are available at Red Cat, Zulu Records, Highlife, and Beatstreet.

Theats
The Rio Theatre is showing Paris a Minuit Burlesque on Friday, March 29. Think Moulin Rouge cabaret: some of Vancouver’s finest burlesque performers will be putting on a night of dance, comedy, and circus with a little French je ne sais quoi. There will also be a Parisian photo booth by donation, so for a little extra fun, attend dressed up.

Elites
The Vancouver Maritime Museum is currently featuring the exhibit Tattoos and Scrimshaw: The Art of the Sailor, running until October. This exhibit will explore the origins of tattooing, and trace the evolutionary changes of the practice, beginning with ancient mariners up to modern practices. The exhibit is focused on the use of tattooing among sailors as an artistic expression of permanence amidst a life of unpredictability. If you’re a fan of the tattoo, or are maybe considering getting your own arm anchor art, pay them a visit and learn a bit about life at sea.

Treats
If you’re looking for something to do between semesters, consider signing up for a pottery class. The City of Vancouver offers pottery classes at many community centers for a wide range of ages and skill levels. There’s tons of drop-in classes if you just want to try it out for an afternoon, or you can sign up for month-long lessons if you want to learn how to master the wheel. If you’ve already taken classes before and are just looking for unlimited access to a studio, membership prices are usually pretty reasonable.