Clan women impressive in GNAC Championships

0
393

Clan women finish second, men sixth

By Bryan Scott

The Simon Fraser cross-country teams were in action at the Great Northwest Athletic Conference Championship in Monmouth, Oregon over the past week. The women finished in second place, matching last year’s result. The only team better was Alaska Anchorage University. The men’s side improved on last year’s seventh-place finish by earning the sixth spot this year.

Both teams earned a spot in the West Regional Championships this week in Kahuku, Hawaii. The women’s team was led by captain Lindsay Butterworth, who finished in fifth position, and was the first athlete to finish who wasn’t competing for Alaska. Her time was 21:19.46 over six kilometres. The next finishers for the Clan were two freshmen: Kansas Mackenzie, who finished ninth with a time of 21:25.57; and Peggy Noel who finished in 10th with a time of 21:28.06. All three women earned all-conference recognition for their performances. Kirsten Allen and Michaela Kane finished in 19th and 20th, respectively, helping the Clan to their 61 points overall.

The men faced an eight-kilometre course, and were led by captain Adam Reid, who finished in 25:48.86, earning him 16th place. Freshman Timo Hoberg finished in 21st place with a time of 26:01.4. The next top finishers for the Clan were Lawrence Viola (41st, 26:43.24), Cameron Proceviat (49th, 26:55.01), and Brendan Wong (52nd, 26:58.19). These men helped the Clan earn their sixth place finish with 165 points.Alaska Anchorage won the men’s side as well.
Clan coach Brit Townsend was happy with the results. “In training, we have been focusing on regionals, and some athletes were tired but performed well regardless. Our freshman on both sides performed well and really stepped up,” she said after the GNAC Championship.
Hopefully the Clan will continue their success in Hawaii. The women’s team is ranked ninth in the NCAA heading into this weekend.