SFU Football 1 – 0 after week one

0
380

By Bryan Scott

Simon Fraser looks strong in season opener with 51 – 14 victory over Pacific University

The Simon Fraser University Clan Football team started the 2012 season with an impressive 51–14 wins over the Pacific University Boxers. Senior running back Bo Palmer (North Vancouver, B.C.) had 65 yards and two touchdowns, and sophomore quarterback Trey Wheeler (Seattle, WA) went 17–21 for 128 yards and two touchdowns on the day. The Clan’s special teams and defensive units were solid producing points off turnovers and punt returns. The Clan defense was remarkable, especially early on when the game was still up for grabs.
The opening drive showed an aggressive Boxer’s offense that made it to the Clan’s red zone. The Clan defense was up to the challenge and stopped the Boxers’ drive to keep it scoreless. That must have inspired the Clan’s offense and special teams as they scored 34 points in the first half to lead 34–7 at halftime. The Clan were just too much for the Boxers, as no comeback was mounted and the Clan cruised to the victory.
This is the second consecutive year that the Clan have won their season opener in Forest Grove, OR. The margin of victory was much smaller last year, as SFU’s head coach Dave Johnson explained. “Last year we had to fight and claw to get a win here,” said Johnson. “I think, in that game, they thought we got out of here with a win we didn’t deserve.” But after the Clan’s lopsided win he continued, “ I think this win shows we’ve come a long way.”
The Clan will be looking to continue their week one success as they face the Central Washington Wildcats in their home opener. In the 2011 season, these teams split the season series 1–1. The Wildcats beat up the Clan 37–17 early on, but the Clan redeemed themselves with 35–24 victory on home turf.