Out of the shadows and into the limelight

0
508

By Adam Ovenell-Carter

Meet Marie-Line. She plays basketball, and she’s good at it. You just might not know it yet.

That’s probably because at just five-foot-five, Marie Line Petit is very much that, and easily lost amongst the Nayo Raincock-Ekunwes and Rebecca Langmeads of the world — quite literally lost in the shadows of her five Clan teammates well over six feet tall. That’s okay though, because being the granddaughter of a baseball player and the sister of a Memorial Cup-winning hockey player, she’s used to going about her business quietly. And when it comes to basketball, when you don’t notice her, that’s when she’s at her best.

The flashiest thing about Marie-Line Petit is her smile — something she has a hard time hiding at the best (or worst) of times. The closest she ever came to serious was giving a firm “no” when asked if she ever felt overshadowed by her family’s sporting accomplishments. You couldn’t blame her if she did. You couldn’t fault her if she felt outshined by the likes of Raincock-Ekunwe or Kristina Collins — the team’s two superstars who get the majority of fan, media, and opposition’s attention.

“Everybody on the team has their own role,” she said. “Nayo has been incredible. She’s unbelievable on the boards and when she comes to play, no one can stop her. No one.

“Kristina’s been awesome as well. She’s stepped up her game from last year in particular and now she’s one of our go-to players, especially late in the game.”

Really, she didn’t have enough good to say about her teammates, and it’s that kind of team spirit that has the Clan fighting for second place in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference.

“When our stars are going like they are, you don’t want to let them down so you focus on the simple things,” she added. “You do your job, and move on. We can’t let ourselves be selfish and let that get in the way of the team.

“I know my role. I know what I’m good at. I’m a good defender I’m a good free throw shooter under pressure. So I know I’ve got to take care of the ball first, and then I need to slow down whoever I’m guarding.

“If I can do that, when I head off the court, I’m happy with what I’ve done.”

That’s not to say that she’s completely satisfied with her game, however. She’s playing for a storied coach who’s led some fantastic teams to more than a fair share of championships when the team was still in the CIS. Naturally, that leaves a lot for this year’s installment of the Clan to live up to.

“I wouldn’t say there’s any added pressure,” said Petit, “but there are higher expectations [given the team’s history in the CIS]. But a lot of that is from us. All we can do is try to build off the success of the past and make our own mark.”

The team’s well on their way, but Petit is still heeding every piece of advice thrown her way. Every rookie on the team has a mentor, and although Petit is in her second year, she still approaches the game as though she were in her first.

“I still have my own questions,” she laughed. “Carla [Wyman] took me in last year, and she taught me a lot.

“Where I come from, CEGEP, basketball isn’t that competitive. It was enough just to show up to practice, but Carla told me that wouldn’t be enough here. You need to spend extra time in the gym, and be competitive all the time — always try to be better.”

And, needless to say, playing under the tutelage of a record-setting head coach has more than helped both her and the team.

“We struggled a bit, chemistry-wise, last year, but this year the chemistry was already there, and we just added even more talent and [head coach Bruce Langford] has been amazing with us,” said Petit.

“For me in particular, he’ll tell me, ‘you do this and this is why,’ and I listen to everything he says. I think because of him I’ve grown a lot, and grown a lot smarter.

“He tells me simple things: ‘don’t get things too complicated, be smart do your thing and you’ll be fine — and don’t be afraid to take your shot when it’s there.’”

She won’t astound you with a abundance of dazzling moves or anything. But in her typically quiet, unassuming way, she’s taking her shot and making the most of it, all with a smile on her face.