Kill retail rudeness with smiles

0
525

By Michelle Seo

In the retail industry, employers constantly emphasize the importance of customer service. No, scratch that: they want ‘above-and-beyond’ customer service. With so many competitors selling similar goods and services, companies now spend considerable money and effort to train their employees to not only sell, but to make the customer experience extraordinary.

So what does ‘extraordinary’ customer service entail? Well, from my experience, a lot of smiling. Yes, smiling till my cheeks literally ache. When I look over at my coworkers, they have that same smile plastered on their faces — their mouths wide open and teeth showing. As we walk by each other, our eyes meet with a mutual understanding (our facial expressions do not change). Exceptional customer service also means introducing myself and asking, “How may I help you?”  or, “How was your day?” When the customer leaves, I close our conversation by acknowledging my appreciation for them choosing our company, and I wish them a wonderful day and to take care until we meet again. Then the next customer walks up — here we go again.

Every so often, I get customers who aren’t afraid to show rude, negative attitudes. They’re having a bad day. While they are waiting in line, I look over my current customer’s shoulder and, evidently, they are scowling at every person and thing surrounding them. Then, there are those who simply want minimal interaction with you, refusing to even make eye contact. Or, the ones who toss their payment cards at you. Some customers become so upset during the conversation that they look at your name tag, say your name aloud, and demand to speak to the manager immediately, while vigorously shaking their index finger in the air.

I reckon that most of us have been in similar situations. Many students work part-time jobs that require servicing, whether it is waiting tables or working at a retail store. I personally work for a financial institution and have had my fair share of difficult customers. And lo’ and behold, I not only learned about managing and controlling conflicts, I acquired a better understanding towards people and human nature. The first week into my current job, a customer yelled at me and made me feel so incompetent, I considered quitting.

Why would someone, a complete stranger, who I met for the first time, openly express her temper at me when I’m only trying to help them? Perhaps, being strangers, she had less interest in my feelings because she was consumed in her own. Or, maybe, there was an unpleasant event in her life, such as a death in the family or loss of a job. There could be a million explanations for her dreadful mood that day, but the bottom line is, I decided to not let it get the better of me. As a matter of fact, I’m glad it happened.

Ten months down the road, I came up with my own golden rules for ‘above-and-beyond’ customer service. Behind everything they taught me, I decided that having a genuinely positive attitude produces the best service. When I smile, I don’t smile because I have to; my day just seems brighter when I’m smiling and I love people smiling back at me.

On a side note, I think customers can tell you’re faking a smile — you’re facial muscles look awkward. When customers express frustration or dissatisfaction, I approach them with empathy and wish for their day to get better. Around 90 per cent of the time, the customer reveals a slight smile before walking away.

Looking back, I admit there were occasions when I was that rude customer having a bad day. Now being on the other side I am more aware of my attitude towards others in the service industry. Golden rule number one — treat others as you would like to be treated. You can’t argue with that.