University Briefs

0
382

Snowballs fight midterm blues at U of T

Two University of Toronto students initiated a snowball fight event to help lighten the spirits of their fellow students during midterm season.

The event was primarily promoted on Facebook and brought a crowd of approximately 400 students to U of T’s Front Campus.

Jonathan Cassin, a student who participated in the snowball fight, commented:  “Everything was fun, but the spontaneity of it is what really made it special. It brought all kinds of students together, from arts [and] science to engineers.”

With files from The Varsity

Carleton students profit from “Roll Up the Rim” losses

Student-owned Rooster’s Coffeehouse at Carleton University is offering 20 per cent off any size coffee, tea, or hot chocolate to anyone who brings in the “please play again” tab from their Tim Hortons’ cup.

Carleton University Students’ Association president Folarin Odunayo said, “We’re hoping this can build up the attendance at Rooster’s [and] get people more excited about their coffeehouse. We want students to come to our business.”

So far, students have responded positively. A second year “Tim Hortons regular” commented, “It’s like a consolation prize. I mean, I’m worried Rooster’s won’t have enough coffee to keep up with the demand.”

With files from The Charlatan

UBC students petition for referendum on divesting in Israeli companies

UBC’s branch of Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights (SPHR) is petitioning for a referendum on the Alma Mater Society’s (AMS) divestment and boycott of companies that support Israel’s occupation of Palestine.

In order for the proposed referendum to be part of the upcoming AMS elections, “the petition needs to reach 1,000 signatures from students who are currently enrolled at UBC.”

Policies in line with the global BDS (boycott, divestment, sanctions) movement have been passed in the student societies of various North American universities, including York, Ryerson, and branches of the University of California.

With files from The Ubyssey