Need to Know, Need to Go: Latincouver

Latincouver presents the Latin American Heritage Month Festival

0
14
Large blue, orange, yellow, and red kites with elaborate curling patterns are flown in the sky by various people.
ILLUSTRATION: Den Kinanti / The Peak

By: Abigail Streifel, SFU Student

October is Latin American Heritage Month (LAHM), and with it comes plenty of great events. Latincouver’s LAHM Festival invites us to “discover the rich vibrancy of Latin culture” through a series of workshops, art exhibitions, and ceremonies. The festival, which runs from October 15 to November 3, includes many different events celebrating Latin American communities and traditions. There’s something for everyone here, and these are just a few of the free activities you won’t want to miss.

Cuban Salsa Class
Ocean Art Works, 1531 Johnston St., Vancouver
October 19, 11:00 a.m.12:00 p.m.
The festival offers many hands-on workshops and classes focused on multiple cultural art forms. For those who like to get moving, or who are interested in dance, Latincouver will be hosting a Cuban salsa class at Ocean Art Works. The class is open to everyone, no matter your experience level, so beginners are encouraged to attend! Come to this exciting event to learn the basics of salsa, meet some new friends, and appreciate Cuban music and dance. 

Make Your Own Barrilete from Guatemala 
October 20, 1:00 p.m.2:00 p.m.
In parts of Guatemala, barriletes (giant kites) are an important part of the Festival de los Barriletes Gigantes, which honours the dead and celebrates the living in a unique way: with tremendous, colourful kites, some of which are “more than 40 feet in diameter.” These kites have been said to “create peace for the good spirits” when flown at cemeteries, allowing them to rest undisturbed. 

Literatura Indigena Latinoamericana Workshop 
October 26, 3:00 p.m.4:00 p.m.
The Literatura Indigena Latinoamericana workshop focuses on the significance of Indigenous languages in Latin America. This workshop is perfect for anyone interested in literature, languages, or learning more about various cultures. It is led by Silvana Goldemberg, an “educator and award-winning author of over twenty books published in Spanish and English.” 

Day of the Dead Market
1500 Old Bridge St, Vancouver and Ocean Art Works, 1531 Johnston St., Vancouver
November 2 and 3, 11:00 a.m.8:00 p.m.
Celebrate Día de los Muertos with this festive market on Granville Island! The Day of the Dead honours deceased loved ones with offerings of food and personal items, festivals, visits to cemeteries, music, and decorations. Join in the celebration at this lively market which will feature food, live music performances, and workshops. You can also enjoy the art exhibitions, including a live mural painting “Harmony,” led by artist Efrain Orellana