How to dress like a professor

Business, hiking, clogging . . . casual?

0
17
Three professors on a runway. There is a sign behind them that reads, “Tenured Prof Fashion Week.”
ILLUSTRATION: Cliff Ebora / The Peak

By: Yasmin Hassan, Staff Writer

If you’re looking for inspiration for a niche fashion archetype, you don’t have to look to your fave celebs; the professors of SFU are underrated fashion icons. Here’s an essential guide to help you find your true academic chic.

Starting with bottoms, the hottest looks of most tenured profs are usually some form of khaki, cargo, or loose denim jeans. These pants are functional — 15 different pockets for keeping pens, sticky notes, and granola bars — and extremely versatile. They keep everyone around them guessing: are they going to class, or are they going for a hike down the mountain? If you’re not feeling pants, wear a timeless long skirt or dress that goes to your ankles, usually argyle, some funky print, or singlecoloured. You could say profs are promoting quiet luxury.

For tops, tenured profs are all about layering. To emulate this style, you’ll want to layer a t-shirt that has been through multiple finals and grad ceremonies, a flannel or unbuttoned dress shirt, and a dark raincoat. You also have the option to wear a raincoat that is neon orange for extra visibility as you’re strutting down the halls of the AQ. Layering is the answer to all your problems. You can professorize any shirt with this method. The only clean top you have is a Hawaiian shirt? Wear an extremely professional blazer to balance it out.

Now for shoes, tenured profs are embracing the theme of sports casual. Almost all the profs I’ve had wear chunky hiking boots, aerodynamic running sneakers, or clogs. They want to be able to withstand hours of seminars, office hours, travelling from campus to office, and everywhere in between. Personally, if I were a prof, I’d wear slippers because I couldn’t be bothered to try. But in reality, profs aim to balance swag with comfort in a functional but weird way. All the profs that wear heels or heeled boots have a different kind of strength, so it’s not for the weak, wear at your own risk. 

You’ll need a large canvas, messenger bag, or leather handbag that carries your lunch, notes, and everything else you might need, except for that one student’s assignment because it’s sitting on your office desk (whoops). You can wear quirky earrings, chunky necklaces, and perhaps even a bangle or two. Never forget about the infinity scarf that has survived from 2013 and the toque that’s either Arcteryx or North Face. Optional accessories include unconventional king-sized coffee mug, glasses, sunglasses, glasses that turn into sunglasses, sports backpack, biking helmet, and smart phone that has lasted you at least seven years. 

As the weather keeps getting colder, don’t be afraid to change things up when keeping warm. Profs take on fashion with practical, cozy, and effortless looks. If you dress like a prof, you get in the mindset of one. You’ll unlock the secrets of scholars, the way of the academics, one cardigan at a time. Do you think if I dress like my economics professor, I’ll start understanding supply and demand curves . . .? Yes? No? OK.