What Grinds Our Gears: SFU Mail

0
632
Image courtesy of Outlook / Microsoft

Written by: Zach Siddiqui, Copy Editor

I appreciate the attempts to keep SFU platforms up-to-date and relevant, and SFU Mail is really cool in some ways, but I really don’t know why we needed it. With SFU Connect, I wasn’t completely satisfied, but I was at least content. Our mailing client knew what it was about, and it stayed in its lane as serviceable milquetoast.

But SFU Mail, summoned forth because (tl;dr version) too many professors got flirty with Microsoft Outlook, is a little prettier than its predecessor yet overall somewhat annoying. I keep running into mild login problems, and when I google SFU Mail, the login page isn’t the first hit the way it was with SFU Connect. Also, the name is less creative . . . maybe we should calling our sports teams the “SFU Players” (which, by the way, would still be a better name than SFU Clan).

SFU Mail should have been to SFU Connect as Charizard is to Dragonite in the “before versus after she contours” meme. Regretfully, SFU Mail is more akin to Handsome Squidward — called by a word traditionally denoting attractiveness, but in fact conspicuously disturbing in face. It is like a Picasso-painted landscape borne from the love affair of two other Picasso-painted landscapes who, like Melissa Hastings and Jason DiLaurentis of Pretty Little Liars, hooked up without knowing they were secretly half-siblings and not just awkward next-door neighbours.