Satellite Signals

0
502
Karen Armstrong gave a talk at SFU Vancouver, hosted by SFU's Centre for Dialogue.

Vancouver

Attendees explored the connection between religion and violence at a lecture and book launch by Karen Armstrong based on her newest work, Fields of Blood: Religion and the History of Violence, on November 17 at The Playhouse.

Hosted by SFU’s Centre for Dialogue and moderated by Vancouver Sun columnist Douglas Todd, Armstrong spoke to the misunderstandings of violence’s connection with particular religious manifestations, and the need to recognize that religion is not the problem.

WEB-woodwardWoodward’s

With NATO operations in southern Afghanistan scheduled to end in December 2014, New York University scholar Barnett R. Rubin led a discussion on November 19 as to what might happen to Afghanistan after NATO forces leave.

Rubin drew on his decades of experience working for both the United Nations and the United States government to present an analysis of how the future of the country might look.

vancouverHarbour Centre

International studies students had the opportunity to mingle with professionals in related fields on November 20 at Crossroads and Connections, the International Studies Student Union’s (ISSA) fourth annual career night.

Students attended a networking skills presentation, after which they signed up for three presentations from an assortment of individuals such as Paola Lashley from Aritzia, Craig Vandermeer from Youth in Development, Gordon Marshall from the Trial and Appellate Council, and SFU professors of political science Robert Hanlon and Alexander Moens.