Need to Know, Need to Go: January 11–17

Arts & culture events to check out this week around the Lower Mainland

0
496
Illustration of a blue calendar, with
Arts & Culture events to catch around the city. Image courtesy of Brianna Quan

By: Sara Wong, Arts & Culture Editor

Universal University? On Space and Inclusion in Higher Education | January 12, 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. | Zoom | Free with registration

SFU’s Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue and Centre for Comparative Muslim Studies are hosting a virtual seminar exploring topics such as the connection between space and inclusion and how to prevent the terms “inclusion” and “diversity” from becoming rote and meaningless. The discussion will feature guest speaker Dr. Saladdin Ahmed, Union College political science professor and author of Totalitarian Space and the Destruction of Aura. Participants must register via Eventbrite to receive the Zoom link for the seminar. 

A New Resilience: Artist Talk and Tour | January 14 at 7:15 p.m. | Facebook Live | Free

Port Moody Arts Centre (PoMoArts) is launching a new gallery exhibition showcasing the work of Vancouver-based, multi-media artist Sonya Iwasiuk. Titled A New Resilience and inspired by the first wave of Ukranian immigration to Canada, Iwasiuk’s pieces reflect on “one of the most pressing current world issues people fleeing their turbulent homelands searching for peace and prosperity.” On the opening day of this exhibit, Iwasiuk will present a discourse and tour of the gallery on a PoMoArts Facebook Live feed. A New Resilience will be available for viewing both inperson and online from January 14 to February 15, 2021. 

Riley Park Winter Farmers Market | January 16, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. | Free

Located at Nat Bailey Stadium, this farmers market is the largest in a series operated by the Vancouver Farmers Market (VFM) organization. Along with organic produce, the Riley Park Farmers Market vendors sell specialty cheeses, fresh bread, homemade desserts, alcohol, and more. The market features small, local artisans. There are also food trucks on site for attendees. A full schedule of vendor appearances, as well as a detailed outline of COVID-19 safety measures, can be found on the VFM website.