Album Reviews: Best of Summer Hip Hop Edition

0
482

By: Michelle Gomez

Astroworld by Travis Scott

Houston, we have a banger! Texas-born rapper comes in hot with his third studio album — if you haven’t heard it yet, stop everything you are doing and listen. Named after a Houston amusement park that was shut down in 2005, Astroworld is meant to be a continuation of Scott’s last albumRodeo. After listening to them back-to-back, I have to agree.

Astroworld constantly shifts in mood and fluctuates in tempo, making the album enigmatic and stimulating. The album starts out with Travis’ classic auto tuned vocals and melodic verses in “STARGAZING” and “CAROUSEL.” “SICKO MODE” featuring Drake includes sharp back-and-forth between the two rappers, as well as dynamic instrumentals. With features like The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Sheck Wes, and James Blake, listening to Astroworld feels like being inside an amusement park of talented artists. 

The only thing that could have improved this album would be a stronger ending. Although Scott includes his already hit single “BUTTERFLY EFFECT” toward the end of the tracklist, I would have appreciated an energetic finale. Despite its disappointing ending, I appreciate what Astroworld is trying to do and I respect Travis finishing what he started with Rodeo.  

Scorpion by Drake

In case you live under a rock and haven’t heard yet, Canada’s golden boy has come through with the album of summer 2018.  With his rapping skills, catchy verses, and wholesome smile, Drake delivers the fire in Scorpion.

I immediately fell in love with the swanky OVO sounds flowing through my eardrums.  The “I’m Upset” music video takes you back to the Degrassi days, a simpler time for most of us (including Drake). “Nice For What” is the female-empowerment anthem of the summer, with the music video starring a range of fierce and successful women. The catchy and upbeat song “In My Feelings,” I’m sure, will be replayed on mainstream radio until we all hate it.  

While this particular mixtape has been criticized for sounding exactly like his other music, I can’t blame Drake for sticking to his own style. Although I admit the album could have been shorter — a 25-song tracklist is a little overwhelming — Scorpion is packed with a good balance of chill tunes and lively summer hits.  

Honourable Mention: Good Thing by Leon Bridges  

I went into this album expecting Bridges’ usual swanky, soulful, New Orleans sound, but was surprisingly disappointed by what came out of my headphones instead. As many great and unique artists eventually do, Leon Bridges officially made the move toward becoming a mainstream pop artist.  

Bridges moved from smooth 50’s tunes to contemporary Sad Boy Music. I respect what he is trying to do with tracks “Mrs,” “Shy,” and “Beyond,” but many of the other songs fell short of my expectations. In my opinion, Bridges’ album lost the simple charm that his last album, Coming Home, offered.