World News Beat

Bite-sized news from around the world

0
504

By: Nathaniel Tok

UKRAINE – Another massive cyberattack spreads worldwide

Thousands of organizations reported attacks from a new computer virus last week, disrupting everything from shipping ports to chocolate production. The malicious software began its work in Ukraine, attacking the Chernobyl radiation monitoring system, banks, and the Ukrainian government. The virus encrypted data and demanded payments for recovery similar to the WannaCry cyberattacks that occurred in May. Europol, the European Union’s law enforcement agency, concluded that this attack increased in sophistication, proving that cybercrime is changing rapidly. Businesses now have to deal with the fallout as financial losses from this attack and that of its May predecessor are estimated to be upwards of $8 billion.

With files from Reuters, Sky News, and The Globe and Mail.

YEMEN & THE PHILIPPINES – Cholera breaks out in war zones

The waterborne infectious disease cholera is resurging in war-torn areas around the globe. The United Nations Children’s Fund and the World Health Organization announced that there are more than 200,000 suspected cases in Yemen with around 5,000 new cases every day, stressing an already fraying Yemeni health care system. Isolated cases are also appearing in Marawi, Philippines as the fight against the so-called Islamic State supporters has forced tens of thousands into overcrowded evacuation centres. Cholera often arises in areas with poor sanitation and water quality and claims up to 143,000 deaths worldwide each year.

With files from CBC News, Reuters, Sky News, and the World Health Organization.

COLUMBIA – Colombia achieves milestone towards peace

The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), a leftist rebel group, and the Colombian government have implemented an agreement to end one of the region’s longest-running wars. The former rebels handed over their weapons to United Nations observers as they prepare to form a political party. The last attempt at peace in the 1980s failed as FARC allies were killed by right-wing groups. Significant challenges such as land reform lie ahead, but France 24 reports Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos as saying that the “peace is real and irreversible.”

With files from France 24.

CANADA – Canadian supreme court orders Google to take down search results

Canada’s Supreme Court decided with a vote of 7–2 last week that Google must stop showing search results for a technology firm. Datalink Technologies Gateways was sued by British Columbian company Equustek Solutions Inc. in 2012 for a copyright violation, but Datalink left the province to continue marketing its copied products. Equustek requested that Google remove search results for Datalink worldwide, however Google only did so on its Canadian website. The Supreme Court ruled that Google and the Internet operate globally and that search results for Datalink cannot be displayed in any country. Google and civil liberties groups say that the court’s decision sets a precedent for censorship.

With files from Reuters.