Ice Age: Collision Course mixes sci-fi with prehistory

0
598
Once again Scrat sets the whole plot in motion chasing an acorn — this time in space.

Ice Age: Collision Course is the latest instalment of the Ice Age franchise. Directed by Mike Thurmeier and Galen T. Chu, this film follows Manny, Sid, Diego, and the rest of the Ice Age gang as they try to stop asteroids from colliding with and killing every animal on Earth. As usual, the impending disaster was caused by the acorn-obsessed, sabre-toothed squirrel, Scrat, who sets off into space in an abandoned alien ship and accidentally sends asteroids towards Earth.

Ice Age: Collision Course is a fun, visual experience that children will particularly enjoy. The film brought a colourful world to life that worked perfectly in 3D. This movie explored themes of love, family, and romance. Although the plot was inconsistent in some areas, the characters were witty and cheeky enough to keep the audience interested.

Audiences that were already familiar with the franchise could appreciate the progression of their favourite characters, from Manny to Scrat. Aside from the potential apocalypse, the characters had to deal with issues concerning love and family. From major familial changes to romantic failures, Ice Age: Collision Course tried to make their characters relatable to both adults and children.

Towards the end, the film felt rushed. There were too many distinct parts of the plot that had to come together in the end, and the climax was also quite cheesy. As a result, the film could potentially annoy any adults watching it. This Ice Age film may not be as good as the first instalment, but it’s entertaining enough. It would be easy for someone who has never watched any of the previous Ice Age films to follow and enjoy this one.

Ice Age: Collision Course works by adding fresh elements to its basic formula. Since the premise of the entire franchise is a group of prehistoric mammals trying to save their world from impending disaster, it fit the mould perfectly. This instalment is also infused with colour and current cultural references. Even though the plot is somewhat rushed and geared towards a younger audience, I would still recommend this movie for simple entertainment.