Alisha Roberts’ home career ends in style

0
564
Alisha Roberts takes the winning shot to defeat Montana State.

In their final home game of the season, the SFU Clan women’s basketball team survived a poor fourth quarter to defeat the MSU-Billings Yellowjackets 63–61. The Clan improved to 13–10 overall, and remain fourth place in the GNAC standings.

The Clan was led by Australia native Ellen Kett, who had 19 points and six assists. Her running and distribution speed kept the Yellowjackets on their heels all game, and she had many dazzling spin moves that sent the crowd into a frenzy.

However, this game was all about Alisha Roberts. This was the senior’s final home match, and she definitely rose to the occasion. Her strong clutch three’s and strong overall play in the first half of the game helped the Clan take a 34–26 lead going into the halftime break. Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 9.31.41 PM

The second half started off with SFU going on a 8–0 run, and with their 16 point lead it appeared that this match was going to turn into a blowout. However, MSU-Billings showed why they were the third ranked GNAC squad: they slowly but steadily clawed themselves back into the game.

The fourth quarter was a disaster for the Clan, as they got thoroughly outplayed on both offense and defense. With 3:54 left in the game, the Yellowjackets took a 59–58 lead, and officially erased the 16-point deficit.

SFU rallied, though, and tied it up at 61 apiece with 2:12 left. Then, an ending worthy of a Hollywood movie took place. Alisha Roberts had the rock for the last play of the game, and with 0.5 seconds on the clock she was fouled on her way to the rim. The fate of the match was in the hands of the senior, as she had a chance to win the game from the free throw line.

“I was definitely nervous, my hands were shaking,” said Roberts after the game, “but you know, that’s the shot I take every single day in practice, my dad always tells me free throws win games, so when I stepped up to the line I knew that I was going to make those shots, I just had confidence in myself.”

She sunk both, and her final two shots at the West Gym lifted the Clan to a 63–61 victory.

When asked what she was going to miss the most about her team and SFU after the season ends, Roberts answered, “the community. We’re not only teammates, but we are friends off the court. We spend so much time together, it’s going to be tough not having that next year. And the SFU community, the people who come out for our games every week, turning out in the stands, it’s so fantastic to have that, and the kids who come and watch our games, it’s just awesome.”