SFU loses championship opportunity

0
359
Katelyn Erhardson had a strong game up front for SFU.

Last Saturday was the most meaningful game the SFU women’s soccer team had played in a long time.

After four straight years of finishing at the bottom of the GNAC standings, the Clan have fought their way back to the top in a season that has defied expectations. A win in last Saturday’s game could have secured the team a spot in the GNAC conference championships, to be played here at SFU. All they had to do was beat Western Oregon.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. A late goal into overtime by Wolves forward Taylor Higa destroyed any hope of the clan qualifying, and the team ended the season just out of the fourth place spot needed to qualify.

The first half ended in a scoreless draw, but that doesn’t mean it was void of chances. SFU outshot the visitors 14–6 in the opening frame, but couldn’t find the back of the net. Christian Dickson had two shots in close off an SFU corner in the first half, but could not convert to take the lead.

The Clan got behind early in the second half. Off a free kick eight minutes in, Brooke Steinberg buried it into the right side of the net for an early 1–0 lead. SFU was able to quickly answer and keep the hope of a victory alive.

Just under a minute later, freshman Katelyn Erhardson took the ball at the right corner of the 18-yard box, and buried it into the left hand corner. From there, SFU pushed the pace of the game, trying desperately to tip the scales. However, nothing was solved after ninety minutes and the game went to overtime.

In the 107th minute, heartbreak ensued. Off another free kick, Taylor Higa scored from just outside the box making the game 2–1 and ending any chance of SFU making it to the conference championship. Both keepers played exceptionally well, with SFU’s Priya Sandhu facing 19 shots total, nine of which were on target.

In all, it was a good season for SFU. Despite being picked to finish dead last before the season started, the team was able to beat the odds and challenge for a spot in the conference championships.