SFU Hockey win 7–6 in a barn burner

0
469
Jono Ceci had four points on the night.

SFU played host to the University of Victoria last Saturday in an absolute thriller of a game. It had it all: goals, great saves, and even a big hit. Both teams combined for an incredible 12 goals by the end as SFU eventually won it in a shootout 7–6.

“I think the guys showed a lot of character,” said Head Coach Mark Coletta after the game. “We challenged them going into the third and they proved us wrong.”

The Clan got off to a good start, with new recruit Jared Babych scoring to put SFU up 1–0. However, just a few second later, UVic leading scorer Carsen Willians answered right back to tie it all up. Captain Jono Ceci would restore the lead, but Vikes forward Cameron Rowat scored with 36 seconds left in the period to level the score at two heading into the intermission.

It was another poor second period for SFU, much like the team’s last home opener in many respects. UVic was able to put four shots past Lyndon Stanwood, two of which came a minute apart. Stanwood made 27 saves on the night in place of last game’s starter, Jordan Liem. Tyler Basham and Babych scored for the Clan, and the team headed into the third down two goals, their prospect of winning the game slim.

“Well, I don’t know if I can say it [while being recorded],” said Coletta when asked about what was said between the second and third period. “I think the message was, let’s bear down, show some heart, eliminate the mistakes, and the freebies. Because if you look at the goals we gave up tonight, at least four were handed to them.

“The other thing was just [to] move our feet,” he continued. “We’re a fast team, and in the third period, I think we showed that.”

The Clan came out into the third and took care of business. Smerek and St. Pierre scored to tie the game up, and Stanwood made some great saves to hold off the Vikes’ attack. In the shootout, Ceci and Basham scored to give SFU their second win of the season.

The goal capped off a big night for captain Jono Ceci. With one goal and three assists for a total of four points, he led the team in scoring on the night and is poised to become the leading scorer in BCIHL history. “He’s a class act,” said Coletta. “He’s going to get that record soon enough, and we hope we can get him a BCIHL championship to go with it.”

The team’s next home game is against Eastern Washington University. Puck drop is at 7 p.m.