Canada’s men’s soccer team set off on road to Russia in style

0
415

If you enjoy heartbreak, disappointment, and pulling your own hair out, then being a Canadian soccer fan is the thing for you. However, Canada was able to pull off a rare win on Friday the 13th (of all days), a 1–0 result at BC Place against perennial bogeymen Honduras. With a little bit of luck, the men in red will hope to use this win as a springboard to advance into the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The match played at BC place was the first the team has played in British Columbia in a decade. For the past decade, most of the games have taken place at Toronto’s BMO Field, with a few Edmonton and Montreal matches sprinkled here and there. But after the success of the Women’s World Cup here in Vancouver, the Canadian Soccer Association knew they had to bring the men’s team to the west coast, and it paid dividends. Over 20,000 boisterous fans helped propel the team to victory over Honduras.

Canada’s soccer history has long been intertwined with that of Honduras. Indeed, the last time Canada’s men’s team played a match in BC, it was against Honduras at Burnaby’s Swangard Stadium in 2005; Canada lost 2–1.

The last time that these two sides met was even uglier for the Canucks. It was October 16, 2012. San Pedro Sula was the venue, and a berth into the final round of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup was the prize. Canada only needed a draw to progress, but what ensued can only be described as a shellacking. The reds were on the tail end of an 8–1 beat down, and this thrashing severely smashed the spirits of Canada for years.

Look no further than the following year Canada had as proof of how bad the Hondurans handicapped the team: in 2013 the team played 13 games, won zero, and scored just one goal.

However, Honduras hasn’t always spelled doom and gloom for Canada. Les Rouges’ victory over Honduras in St. John’s in 1985 granted Canada its only spot in a World Cup; and Friday’s 1–0 win at BC Place will definitely be counted alongside Canada’s most historic victories.

The game-winning goal was scored by MLS Rookie of the Year Cyle Larin. Other players who stood out were Portland’s Will Johnson, who assisted the goal, as well as Atiba Hutchinson of Turkish club Besiktas and Junior Hoilett of QPR, playing his first competitive match for Canada. We’ll be looking to them to continue contributing against the other teams in our group: El Salvador and powerhouse Mexico.

What was most impressive about this win was that throughout the match it was clear that Canada was the better team. There was no luck involved; the Canadians had more possession, more shots, and more heart than their counterparts. Not to mention that the frenetic fans in the stadium had Canada’s back for the whole 90 minutes.

The support was so good that Canada’s coach, Benito Floro, said after the match that he wishes Canada’s next game would be at BC Place. Here’s to hoping that his wish comes true.