145 bus falls into a sinkhole

0
593
There were no injuries among passengers in the bus that fell into the sinkhole. - Photo courtesy of Burnaby NOW

Passengers on the 145 bus this around 7:30 a.m. this morning were in a for a bumpier ride than expected when a 6 foot deep sinkhole opened up underneath the back wheels of the bus.

TransLink advised The Peak that “all the passengers and bus operator were safely evacuated” and “no injuries were reported.”   

There was a delay in removing the bus from the scene since there was uncertainty over whether the ground was stable enough to support a tow truck. However, the bus is to be towed and fixed at TransLink’s maintenance facility.

Global News reported that the sinkhole is 10 feet long and six feet deep. In addition, this sinkhole had previously been filled 3 months ago.

City of Burnaby Engineer, Dipak Dattani told the Burnaby Now that the hole was unrelated to work on the Stoney Creek rehabilitation project”. He added, “It is an unusual event. We don’t have such occurrences on a regular basis in Burnaby.” He could not say what caused the sinkhole.

The 145 and 136 bus lines are being diverted currently with the 145 heading up the mountain on Gaglardi from Production SkyTrain station rather than proceeding up Production Way and Broadway like usual. These diversions are expected to last “at least until” 6 p.m. tonight, according to TransLink.