Point / Counterpoint: What strategies should Canada use in the fight against ISIS?

0
421

Canada must only deliver humanitarian aid!

By Dustin Simmonds

While I may not agree with the statement’s wording, it’s difficult to disagree with Justin Trudeau this time around. Canada’s mission in Iraq does need to be about more than simply “whipping out our CF-18’s to show how big they are.” While the defeat of ISIS is an important step to bring about stability in a volatile region, we must not neglect the factors that allowed the terrorist group to gain such a large foothold in the region, chief among these being the suffering of the Iraqi people.

Since the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, there have been an estimated 133,000 civilians killed. In addition, there are many reports of numerous civilian deaths as a result of multiple campaigns against the country, going all the way back to the First Gulf War.

Many of these casualties occurred because of air or missile strikes, which were additionally unable to remove Saddam Hussein from power during the ‘90s — an action that required boots on the ground, something no one is currently willing to contribute to the latest conflict.

Furthermore, airstrikes fail to address the causes that led to the rise of ISIS in Iraq. Prior to the ISIS invasion, the situation in Iraq was ripe for the rise of extremism. According to the World Bank, 28 per cent of Iraqis were living below the poverty line before ISIS invaded — a clear sign that many were struggling to survive.

In addition, the escalation of sectarian violence that followed the withdrawal of American forces threatened the safety and security of the Iraqi people and provided fertile ground for ISIS to move in. To date, it is estimated that close to 23,000 civilians have been killed following the final troops departing in December 2011.

Clearly, the democratic government that the West established has failed the Iraqi people, and left many longing for the ‘glory days’ of Saddam Hussein’s rule. With this in mind, it should not come as a surprise that the people are willing to follow any promise to restore stability and prosperity.

A person with an empty stomach will follow anyone who says they will make it full, and in light of this, we must view the rise of ISIS as a symptom rather than the disease. As any doctor will tell you, it is far more important to treat the disease, which is exactly what humanitarian aid to a suffering people will accomplish.

Right now, the Iraqi people are willing to trade their democratic freedoms for their survival and prosperity. We can show them that democracy can work by standing in solidarity with them, and  that we are not willing to abandon them to their fate.

The Iraqi people have suffered enough from bombs and missiles falling from the sky. By dropping food and medical supplies, we can ensure that the people are taken care of, and thus eliminate ISIS’ power base by removing their hold over the people.

Canada must employ military combat!

By Adam Van der Zwan

As Islamic State fighters continue their horrific rampage through Iraq and Syria, raping innocent women, slaughtering religious minorities, and robbing thousands of their right to a secure life, the question should not be if Canada should engage in military combat against these terrorist actions, but should beg of what its first move will be.

In light of the Islamic State’s threats to attack our nation, the Canadian government has dutifully responded with appropriate aggression. On October 3, the Prime Minister set forth a motion in Parliament, outlining Canada’s plan for a combat mission against the Islamic State in Iraq.

According to the motion, Canada will offer up to six CF-18 fighter jets, and will deploy 600 soldiers and 69 military advisors for up to a six-month period, as part of an international coalition led by the United States. It will be Canada’s first airstrike since Libya in 2011.

While the motion has been strongly opposed by the Liberal party and NDP leaders, for supposedly being a hasty action bereft of a clear plan, what these pejorative wimps fail to recognize is that success in the quest to stop ISIS can only be achieved through military strikes.

Yes, we can supply humanitarian aid to Iraqi civilians and pro-democratic reformers, and it is extremely important to do so. But these actions will not, by any means, bring about peace to the region. Peace can only be accomplished through aggressive force, and the longer our nation lays idle while we sip our Tim Hortons, the greater the Islamic threat to Canadian national security.

The true North has a duty to stand on guard for its people — to uphold its prosperous reputation by coalescing with our international partners to see an end to this extremist campaign. In using military force, we would not only proudly represent our nation, but would significantly reduce further Islamic war movements against our country while helping the vulnerable. These outcomes are the mark of a strong, democratic and proud Canada.

Also worth noting is the fact that, in the past, humanitarian aid has not produced the greatest outcomes. During the latest Israeli conflict in August, Hamas seized medicine and food intended for Gaza, administering them to its own people while also selling aid on the black market. Point being, if Canada solely administers humanitarian aid, then the entirety of our efforts may go to waste, as our intentions may slip out of our grasp and fall prey to Islamic State corruption.

The support of Canadian defensive combat has been overwhelming. The Globe and Mail reported on October 3 that the British Parliament strongly affirmed air strikes in Iraq, while an Ipsos-Reid poll revealed that 64 per cent of Canadians would like to see Canada move ahead with military force. Clearly, the Canadian public understands the moral duties and benefits of this mission.

No Mr. Trudeau, we’re not simply “whipping out our CF-18’s to show how big they are,” we’re fighting for a peaceful homeland and for international humanitarian justice, so kindly remove your head from your behind and seek some much needed reason.