University Briefs

0
580
Powel Crosley and wife Sladjana

Widower returns to school to study cancer that killed his wife

Widower Powel Crosley has gone back to school at University of Alberta to study the rare form of ovarian cancer that killed his wife.

After taking introductory courses in biochemistry and oncology, one of Crosley’s professors asked him to do lab research alongside masters and doctoral students. Recently, he was awarded $50,000 in grants to continue studying granulosa cell tumour of the ovary, or GCT.

“[My wife’s] motto was: the answer lies in the lab,” said Crosley. “She was pretty persistent about things she believed in. And so I’m just basically completing her mission.”

With files from Canadian Press

U of T student successful on the world stage

University of Toronto fourth year history and political science student and research fellow of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Council of Canada, Jozef Kosc, made waves in the foreign policy world this summer at the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) in Paris.

In addition to researching economic development policies for the OECD Observer, Kosc was published in international journals such as Atlantic Voices and The Journal of Political Studies.

He intends to serve his country in the future through work in the Canadian Foreign Service. “Having met diplomats during my time abroad, their duty, drive, and perseverance are qualities I’ve come to strongly admire,” Kosc said.

With files from The Varsity

Campaign raises awareness of mental health issues

The Canadian Federation of Students — Nova Scotia (CFSNS) launched Mental Health Matters this week, an awareness-raising campaign to improve mental health services for university students.

The CFSNS expressed concerns over a lack of services on campus, which can negatively impact students. This is especially important for first years, who face stress from a plethora of issues, such as being away from home, student debt, personal relationships, and their studies.

According to David Pilon, program leader for Special Mental Health Services at Capital Health, 75 per cent of mental health illness starts before the age of 25, meaning university students are particularly vulnerable.

With files from Global News